Trimalleolar fracture recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone! On February 2nd, I slipped ice fishing and fractured my ankle. I have a Trimalleolar fracture, which consists of a fibula break, medial malleolus break, and a dislocation. I was put in a splint, and was supposed to get surgery the following week. When about to go to the OR, they removed the splint to find a fracture blister, which prolonged the surgery until 2/15. I received a plate with 6 screws to the fibula, wiring for the medial malleolus (a screw wouldn’t go through due to it being small) and another screw between my tibia and fibula for stabilization. This screw took recovery from 6 week, to 12 weeks. 

Luckily after surgery, I’ve virtually had minimal pain and seem to be healing okay. I have a 2 week post op appt to get staples removed, take an X-ray, and hopefully get out of this cast and into a NWB boot! I’m so sick of having casts!

I am a last semester RN student, and 12 weeks brings me exactly to graduation. I’m still attending school, but unable to do clinicals due to NWB status. I need to be able to put weight on my foot at least 2 weeks prior in order to make up clinicals to graduate. 

So - has anyone had this type of fracture with the 12 weeks NWB, that was able to walk prior to that? Any tips on recovery? Anyone just as frustrated as I am?! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op. I had the same fracture, so now I'm walking Fwb in the boot. I'm doing well. But one thing that really worked for me is to take 2000 mg of vitamin b3. The doctor said that helped me.

• Posted

Congrats! That is super reassuring. I’m 22 years old in a few days, and just like everyone else I’m so sick of having to ask for help for basic tasks like getting in and out of the shower, and not being able to come and go as I please.  I’ve been taking 1000mg of calcium supplements as I don’t drink milk. I will definitely get the vitamin b3! Hope everything continues to go well for you!
  • Posted

I had the same break. One plate and a total of about 10 screws. At my 2 week post op I was put in a hard cast for 4 weeks of nwb. O didn't mind the cast. If I'd had a removable boot it would've been too tempting to take off sometimes. After that I was given a boot and told I could start weight bearing as tolerated. Starting with 2 crutches for support and weaning down to none. I'm currently down to one crutch. I return on 2 weeks for my next appointment to find out if I can start walking without the boot. Everyone's recovery is different. I hope you'll heal well and be able to finish and graduate on time!

• Posted

I agree about doing too much with the boot! I’ve been in about 3-4 casts since my injury, I just can’t  want to see my skin underneath and take care of it!!! How long was it before you were in a boot with partial weight bearing? I hope everything continues to go well for you, thank you!
  • Posted

Hi Mackenzie,

I suffered just a bimalleolar fracture (no surgery), so I had it much easier than you. I was walking (partial weight bearing) in boot at 6 weeks, and weaned of boot completely by 8 weeks.

With your surgery and all the hardware installed in your ankle I couln't begin to compare with your situation. I hope you are able to walk, either full-or-partial weight bearing before your clinicals begin. If your clinical work requires you to move normally on both feet, as opposed to crutches and/or a boot-- only you can determine that.

A note about calcium supplementation that you mentioned: it should be taken with Vit. D for maximum absorption. Also, calcium intake needs to be balanced with magnesium for proper absorption and balance. Nowadays, there are recommendations that the calcium/magnesium intake should be more at a 1 : 1 ratio.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you very much! I’m glad you’re healing well. I’m hoping I will be able to make my clinicals up as well, as I am currently missing one every week I’m out. I’ll have to make up approx 10 clinicals in 2 weeks at the latest I can be cleared. I’m hopeful my body will allow it! I know healing is different for everyone, I just love to have hopes that it could happen! I constantly feel as if I’m living in limbo not knowing what will happen. I will absolutely get magnesium. My mom is heading to the store soon so I’ll put that on her list! I’ll do anything to get this healing rolling!
  • Posted

Mackenzie,

It is a pleasure to converse with you.

I do hope that if you have any delays in getting back to full weight bearing safely that your nursing school will grant you a deferment for that tight schedule completing your clinicals. After all, as a soon to be RN you know the importance of treatment by the book, so to speak.

As a follow up to our discussion of calcium and magnesium, I would be remiss not to mention the importance of taking vitamin K2 when supplementing with calcium, especially larger doses. K2 facilitates the mobilization of calcium in the body and directs it to go to the right places (like bones) and not the wrong places (like arteries, ie. calcification or hardening of the arteries).

Cheers

• Posted

Hi how are you walking now? Would be nice to know your progress as I have the same injury. broke my ankle January 12, I’m on week 12 still partial weight bearing . I have an appointment next week hopefully the doctor tells me I can fwb already . 

I started swimming daily since last week My ankle mobility is just better.

Are you doing physical therapy ?

• Posted

I am currently 2 weeks into recovery. Wondering how you’re doing. I have my first follow up appointment in 3 days. Quiet nervous. I had the same fracture as you with dislocation and surgery. It’s so hard. I also have a two year old so I don’t get to rest my leg very much. In my first cast still at the moment. And the pain is horrible at night. No pain killers work from 5-10 pm. So I have to wait that time out until I can take the pain killers.  It’s horrid. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.