Trimalleolar fracture recovery....problem with fracture boot.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.in late August I was 3 weeks in hospital in which I had both an external fixation for a week and finally 2 plates and a lot of screws to repair my triple breaks.

6 weeks in a plaster cast .NWB with a Zimmer ive now been given a fracture boot and far from being what I imagined as my route back to being normal I HATE it.

It hurts, it makes my foot swollen, it rubs the parts where the metal plates ate close to the surface and most of all it makes my good leg two inches short and I can't get a natural walking gait. still.hopping.

What can I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I found when I had my boot that my foot was shorter in height too. I did wear a trainer with a substantial sole on it which helped to level it up with the boot but you can get risers for shoes as well. I found wearing a thickish sock helped to cushion, and I didnt do it up very tight. I hope that helps.

• Posted

thank you. I wear it over socks and leggings.I try to strap it to the same degree as it was fitted but the metal bars , despite the padding, Still leave deep indentations in my skin..right in the same place as my op scars.

I've got some very thick soled walking boots to hopefully correct my leg length..as I'm only 5ft 2 inches makes quite a difference .

I'm almost tempted to get a fabric ankle brace and try that instead .

• Posted

If your boot is that uncomfortable i would go back and let them know rather than try a fixit for yourself, as it may put back your recovery. I had a similar sort of problem but mine was because of the swelling on top of the foot, which has now gone thankfully. Do go back as they might be able to give you a different type of boot which is more comfortable.

• Posted

I had the same problem. The boot cause my incision to reopen. A year later im still swollen and pained. Is u better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.