Trimalleolar Fracture Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone! Yesterday I had surgery to fix my broken ankle. As I posted before I sustained a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle last week in a volleyball game when I landed awkwardly on another players foot. The result was a fractured medial,posterior, and lateral malleolous along with a dislocation, torn ligaments and a syndesmotic disruption.Obviously I would need surgery for this but it was too swollen to operate last week. So I had the procedure done yesterday and according to my doctor surgery was a success. I arrived at the hospital at 7 am yesterday was prepped and ready for surgery at 10 and was out of surgery by 1130.

I was released early this morning and just arrived home. I was pretty out of it yesterday after the surgery but fortunately my girlfriend was there to help me out as well as get the instructions from the surgeon. According to her they fixed my ankle with a plate and 9 screws including one long screw that goes horizontal and that screw will eventually come out. I'm looking at 8-12 weeks non weight bearing and a long recovery after that. Pain wise I'm doing okay now as I was given a nerve block but that will eventually wear off. So for now it's just rest and elevation of my leg and splint. Take care and hope everyone is doing well with their ankle injuries!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Aww so glad everything went well for you, make sure you elevate and rest...let us all know how you get on too.
    • Posted

Hey thanks for the reply! And I will definitely be doing a lot of rest and elevation lol.
    • Posted

Have to say it's quite enjoyable for the first few weeks, one tip though get a list of box sets to watch it will stop you going crazy! 😂

• Posted

I feel like I'm about to watch everything on Hulu and YouTube in the next 2 months lol.

• Posted

Glad to hear your surgery went well! Take care and take it easy. Find things you enjoy to do with your downtime- it's still important to keep your mind busy. Also have you looked into getting a knee scooter? That was life saving for me for the 6 weeks non-weight bearing. I have 3 levels in my home so had to figure out different ways to get around as I recovered. The scooter helped me when I was ready to get out and move around my 1st floor. I also had a transport wheelchair on my top level to push myself around in (I didn't feel comfortable fumbling with crutches at night) besides they just always make me sore and with my scooter I really got around! Sending you good vibes & wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply and well wishes. My girlfriend still has her knee scooter from her ankle surgery last year so I can use that. However I actually feel more comfortable on crutches and don't mind using them. I'm resting downstairs so I don't have to use the stairs and there's a bathroom and kitchen close to me. I thought it was funny yesterday when the nurse was so surprised at my crutching ability already. I told her I've had 2 knee surgeries and sprained ankles in the past so I've had plenty of practice lol. Anyway thanks for the good vibes and hope your ankle is doing better as well.

• Posted

That sounds like good progress and a positive attitude that will get you through this. I'm a few weeks ahead of you, so can't offer too much advice but definitely rest up and don't push it. Hard for active people I know, but it sounds like you have been there before! All the best.

• Posted

Hey Aaron thanks for the reply.It definitely is difficult when you're active and especially in the summertime. Did you also have a trimalleolar fracture?

• Posted

A Weber C fracture/surgery for me - similiar recovery time. Luckily for me I l live on the other side of the world in the deep winter - summer would be a very different proposition. Of course it was winter sports (an awful football tackle) that brought this on and I'm missing the rest of the season - and no contact sports for 1 year! 

• Posted

I feel your pain lol. It sucks when you're active and suffer an injury. I play 5 different sports in an adult league but won't be playing anything for at least 8 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.