Trimalleolar Fracture Surgery-Pain after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery yesterday, and the doctor put a plate and a number of nails (don't remember at this point) in my ankle. My foot and the back of my calf is feeling so tight and stiff, and I am in a lot of pain. The Percocet they gave me isn't really touching the pain. I called the doctor and he said to move my toes around to loosen things up, but it doesn't seem to be working. Did anyone have the same experience as me? The pain is really becoming unbearable. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the same surgery on the 24th of May. I had a lot of pain too after surgery but it was hard to describe. The pain pills they gave me said to take every 6 hrs but I had to take them every 3 hours for a week or so. Each day the pain gets less and less (unless you’re like me and clumsy and fall or go too long without elevating above heart), it doesn’t feel to well for a few days 
    • Posted

When did the pain start to go down? It feels as though two rocks are continuously hitting me on my ankle.
    • Posted

I had surgery on a Thursday and by Sunday/Monday I was still in pain but it was a bit more bearable
  • Posted

Oh yes, the pain after ORIF is, unfortunately, horrible. I think for a week I was delirious from the pain. But it does get better, I promise. I think they damage a lot of nerves and tendons and that is was hurts so bad. After the first week you should be a bit more comfortable, but do expect more pain in the evening for some reason. I would be ok most of the day but then around 6 pm the pain would start again. Also, putting your foot down to get to the bathroom, etc is going to be your least favorite thing to do for a few weeks. All of this is normal. Your first three days are the worst. The loss of independence is rough too.

Im at 9 weeks and doing much better! I am totally comfortable with my foot up. But still it swells a bit and changes color when down too long, and I'm not even weight bearing yet. I still have one more week before I start the walking again process. This is a for the long haul thing and people seem to do this at their own pace. Don't rush it or be hard on yourself! I know it's not easy??

Lots ts of luck for a fast recovery!

• Posted

The pain will be with you for awhile. Just take you pain meds before the pain builds up. Keep it elevated. This is typical after this surgery. We know the pain and we are here to help.
  • Posted

I also took 800mg Motrin to help with inflammation and be sure to elevate and ice often. Speak with your dr first but you can alternate the 2 and take with food. Ice ice ice
  • Posted

Hi. I had a bimalleolar fracture of my right ankle in January 2018. Surgery was one week later. After the block wore off, the pain was excruciating. I used Percocet, 800 mg. Of Tylenol and I kept my foot elevated 24/7. Iced when needed and wiggled my toes every commercial break lol. That intense pain lasted at least three days until I couldn't stand the effects of the Percocets. Try to at least bend your knee of your injured ankle if you can. My foot felt like it was encased like a sausage. I was told it was the tendons and muscles. It has lessened somewhat. Talk to your doctor and check to see when your PT will start. Blessings always 👼🏽

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.