Trimalleolar fracture with dislocation 6 years ago and still issues

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suffered a trimalleolar fracture with dislocation 6 years ago. I had external fixation for a week till swelling went down, then internal fixation. Had a plate and 11 screws. All but one screw has been removed. I had 4 surgeries in all on it. No physio as the surgeon reckoned I didn't need it. Anyway. I still have issues with pain up the inside of tge ankle and some days when I get up, the pain is pretty bad (but doesn't last). I have real issues with swelling!!! It's awful. My left ankle is regularly twice the size of my right ankle. How can I stop this? It's so ugly!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

6 years is a long time to continue with swelling and pain.

It sounds like an issue with the medial malleous. I suggest you have an ortho take a look see and some xrays to determine what is going on. You may have another fracture

• Posted

I wouldn't think there was another fracture, but definitely think there's an issue with ligaments/tendons, which an x-ray won't show. Just at a loss as to what to do. Dr basically said I have to live with it. I know there's arthritis in the ankle now, but was only the beginnings of it early last year.

• Posted

osteoarthritis is a possibility that should show up on xray which is quicker, cheaper...mri if xray is inconclusive.

So, if you press on it, does it hurt?

Can you jump on it?

If you cause pain when you firmly press, if you cause pain in jumping...you may have a stress fracture.

Perhaps you might even consider a second opinion...6 years, pain, swelling continuous...

For now, elevate and ice. Consider support stocking to the knee after the elevation and icing. Get the swelling down, hold the leg in the air for 60 seconds to allow excess fluid to flow towards the heart and slide the stocking on. This compression therapy will reduce the swelling which in turn will reduce the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.