Trimalleolar Fracture without surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I have a trimalleolar ankle fracture with minimal displacement. The ortho doc recommended surgery, but I don't have insurance. He considered it reasonable to cast it for this first two weeks and then re-evaluate. Has anyone had a similar break and healed without surgery? What was your experience? Thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kara. First of all Im sorry this has happened to you. If you are in California you can get on Medi-Cal, and that will cover the surgery If its needed. I had a trimalleor fracture but had surgery. My best for you. Hope you can get some answers on here.

Karen.

• Posted

Thanks Karen:) I'm in Arizona, so really just keeping my fingers crossed that this heals appropriately in a cast....

• Posted

So sorry Kara

I had same fracture and had surgery

My ortho gave me option of cast for 8!weeks and "maybe" it would heal or the surgery with cast off in 4 weeks and into boot with 25% body weight

I didnt feel like cast for 8 weeks without guarantee! And if it didnt heal then start all over so I opted for surgery

• Posted

Thank you! I'll know more on Thursday. I've had the cast two weeks~we'll see how it looks so far...

• Posted

I had trimalleolar ankle fracture Feb 2019. It's been a very long road and still not back to normal. I've broken my ankle before but not such a severe fracture. I had no choice but to have the surgery. I think you should get a second opinion and seek out help via medicaid or something your state might offer to the uninsured to pay for your surgery. I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you! I did get a second opinion~ of course surgery is recommended, but because the displacement is minimal, he also thought it was reasonable to cast it. Both said that there is an increased risk of arthritis in the future regardless. I don't qualify for any state programs, but fortunately get a self-pay discount.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.