Trimalleolar Surgery 9 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Still experiencing a lot of burning/numbness and sharp shooting pain in my foot. Also, the ball of my foot is swollen and tender. Any idea how long this will last? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post op and experience some numbness if it’s in a weird position but then goes away. I am in a boot and still NWB but am instructed to do exercises. Where are you in the recovery process? 
  • Posted

Hi 

It takes a long time to settle down it took me up to a year to be able to walk normally i also had physio for nearly 2 years 

• Posted

Yeah, Andy. I'm 3 months after surgery and not much progress here. Still in splint and no WB. I'm 63 years old too, so it is much slower recovery. Last week my big toe started wiggling and today I was standing on both feet, without walker or knee scooter ,( for 15 seconds or so). My PT said that my revovery is very slow and is surprised how little he can maneuver my ankle. (Hurts like hell, when he tried).

Somehow I feel, it will get better soon. My sharp pain around stiches are less frequent and overally I'm less frightened by this misery and misfortune. Screw removal is scheduled for September and I'm hoping for short stroll around Christmas. Perhaps still with the "moon boot", but walking never the less.

Good luck. I feel for you!

• Posted

Hi Eric, recovery varies so much from patient to patient even when injury and the operation are virtually the same. My accident was 4 months, the op 3 and 1/2 months ago, removal of two big screws was 3 weeks ago. I walk normally in my own shoes and am able to walk 2 miles without starting to limp. I have been told that the range of my ankle movement is very good in view of the time scale since the op. My ankle does swell up after walking and more so when I stand a lot. I get very tired by the evening. I also get numbness and occasional pins and needles and if I overdo my ankle stretching I get some pain too.Docs say it is normal and that the swelling will go on for a year.

Two months ago I was depressed and could not see the end. So, have faith in yourself. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, Anna.   Can’t wait to be walking again. Growing more impatient by the day with my slow progress. If only the nerves on the ball of my foot would settle down. 🙄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.