Trimalleomar fracture. A week out of cast.a week in fracture boot.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. following my post about the problems caused by my awful boot I.did some research and it seems that physios are often concerned about the hip, back and pelvis damage caused by uneven leg length.

I.also found this advice on the web

"The boot you have been given is for your comfort only and is not needed to aid fracture healing but will help to settle your symptoms."

does any one know if this is correct?

because if i can find an alternative to the agony that is the boot..I will.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i had this same injury in May with 1 plate, 11 screws, and 2 syndesmotic tightropes put in, and im still under a doctors care 😦 but for me, that wasnt the case. 2 weeks after surgery i received the boot. When my doctor felt of my ankle, he said i had lost too much range of motion already and thats why he put me in the boot, so i could begin very light physio but still have my ankle set in place with the boot while being non weight bearing. i didnt loose the boot until the very end of August.

• Posted

I can really relate to your comment. The big black boot was really one of my worst complaints when I had my 1st ankle surgery last November. What worked for me to even out the height of the boot with my good shoe foot was something called a shoe leveler. They strap on easily and really calmed my knees and hips down from uneven walking. But I had trouble with the big black boot even before i was weightbearing. I had to sleep in it, wear it 24/7 for over 8 weeks. It was so uncomfortable and got so tangled up in the sheets and blankets that I couldnt sleep.

Unfortunately, my bones didnt knit and I had to repeat the surgery 3 weeks ago. But this time I bought a shorter, lighter boot and have cut my problems by at least 50%. I ordered a ORTHOPEDIC GUYS CAM AIR WALKER, short boot from AMAZON for about $50 instead of taking the big black boot from the surgeon and being charged $250. (The surgeon did approve the different boot.)

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RECOVERY!

• Posted

I have the same injury as you with metalwork and also a broken tibia with rod inserted. I had my cast removed 5 days ago 6 weeks after surgery. I have not been given a boot and told to pwb for 6 weeks so your research is probably right and you don't actually need the boot

• Posted

I wore tenny shoes always in the house and put an even up on my shoe. Pain to walk in house like that but it evened me out pretty close to perfect. Yeah the boot sucks, and I was told to keep mine on after cast came off unless I showered. I was not weight bearing yet so I did not follow directions. For 4 weeks I used a scooter and crutches, and did not put the boot on until I was told to walk. Not wearing the boot did not hinder my healing, the only concern is being very careful to protect it. Maybe try the even ups, they are not pricey at all.

• Posted

I've now been told by consultant that I can have an air boot..hopefully problems solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.