trimethoprim

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a 8 day course of these antibiotics and after taking them I have felt 100% worse. I feel weak, muscle pains all over my body, no appetite, back pains, my anxiety has gone really high I have headaches and not able to do day to day things. Im scared that this isn't going to pass. I have been off the antibiotics nearly 3 weeks and these symptoms are not getting any better. Can anyone help me and tell me when this will pass or start getting better?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

None of your symptoms are listed as side effects of trimethoprim so there isn't likely to be any connection between the drug and how you feel. What were you prescribed the antibiotic for? Is there a possibility that your original infection hasn't got better and that you need more/different antibiotics? If I were you I'd go back to your doctor and explain how you feel.
    • Posted

Sue73 probably works for the company that manufactures this poison!! All of the side effects are listed and much worse side affects too. I am sat here reading the side effects and I'm horrified! I really think kidney failure from not getting an infection sorted is probably more pleasant than some of the side effects. The side effects look worse than what it's treating!!

• Posted

I had an upper uti I have been back 3 times and they said the infection is gone. Iv been feeling like this since I finished the antibiotics. I had no appetite and I was feeling weak when I was them.
  • Posted

Hi, I started taking this antibiotic for a suspected uti from Friday until Sunday just there. Over the weekend, I started to get a bit of a cough and sore throat, but didn't really think much of it because my daughter has just started school and seems to catch everything. On Monday, I started to feel quite nauseous and weak. I also noticed that I had a couple of bruises on my tummy and on my legs and thought oh where did you lot come from? It's now Wednesday and I feel really weak and have had to phone in sick at work. I was at the doctor this afternoon and she thinks it may be due to the antibiotics but thinks it is probably a viral infection but because of the bruises, I have been booked in for next week for blood tests to make sure nothing untoward is going on. It just seems like a bit weird that all these things seem to happen with this medication. Oh I've also got the muscle pains you describe and everyday things seem so difficult, in the morning I just don't want to get up because I feel so weak. Since these symptoms have been going on so long, I'd get to your doctor and get them checked out. Hope we get better soon x
  • Posted

Hi msmith87 did you lose your appetite? I went back to the doctor and the uti had come back he gave me another 3 day course. I finished them 2 days ago. I still feel very weak in the mornings and feeling nauseous. I have a dull pain/knot below my shoulder blade, have you had any of this? I have been ill since the end of july I just need to get better
  • Posted

I too was diagnosed with a uti, and given trimethroprim for 7 days. After going through muscle weakness, not being able to eat (I've lost 2 stones), really bad anxiety, aches an pains all over, nausea, you name it, I've had it - went back to the GP who said it was just the UTI causing the symptoms, ended up at the emergency doctors and even a&e, and all doctors said there was nothing wrong with me! I took myself off the antibiotics after 5.5 days, and went back to the GP, who said its very rare to have such an adverse reaction to trimethroprim! Afterleaving it for 2 weeks, I went back to re GP again, as my anxiety wasn't going (never suffered from anxiety before). 3 weeks on, and I've now been given pills (sertraline) for my anxiety! I still have diorrhea, and am still not sleeping well, and not able to eat much at all! No energy, and am thoroughly fed up! I'm desperate to know how long these effeffects last! Has anyone come out the other side yet?
  • Posted

i was on trimethoprim for 5 days for a water infection today is my last day....

when i first stared the tablets i was weak for 2 days and couldn't move off the sofa and now i have a bad cough and today i stared bleeding. just wanting a bit of advice please lady's...

• Posted

I hope that you're feeling better now, and that all has cleared up for you. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, my journey has seen me through the darkest time, and meant I had to take sertraline for the anxiety that trimethroprim caused! Now, 7 months on, I still have blood in my urine, no UTI,  and am awaiting a cystoscopy! I truly hope your well and healthy, and that the trimethroprim hasn't caused too much trouble for you?
  • Posted

wow I typed in goodle that i have been on my antibitotics for 4 days and i still feel ill.I didnt type which one.

yet here i am and yes i am Trimethoprim.

Trust me I've been ill enough to know its the pills that are making me so ill and they are not clearing up my uti.

I am going to Primary care tmr,to change my antibitotics

• Posted

As you can see from my post, it's been 7 months since I took the trimethroprim,  and I sadly ended up having to take sertraline for the anxiety that it caused. 50mg per day, but, I have now weaned myself down to two pills per week (100mg in total), and determined to get down to zero! I still have blood in my urine, and am still surprised at the shocked faces I see when I explain to anyone in the medical profession about my reaction to trimethroprim!  Next stop for me is a cystoscopy, and hopefully that will be all clear.  I am feeling much much better, but it's been one he'll of a journey! Hope you feel better soon, and that the affects of the trimethroprim disappear very quickly!  UTI'S are no fun, and nor are adverse reactions!  
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I see its over a year since you posted on here, but I thought I would comment anyway and hope you read this. I was given Trimethoprim last Friday, I wasn't particularly feeling ill, I had just been getting discomfort down below for a while on and off for a few weeks after peeing, and sometimes I felt the urge to go again, but when I went I didn't need to go at all. Dr said she thought I had a UTI (I haven't had my test results yet so dont know if it actually is) Anyhow as I said , she gave me trimethoprim and I took one on the Friday evening. Within an hour I had stomach cramps and bad diarea, but seemed ok after that. However the next morning I woke feeling really ill ... headache, feeling so sick that I was gagging and I felt as weak as a kitten, I couldn't eat anything at all, and had to go back to bed. Because I hadn't felt ill before taking this tablet I knew it was that that made me so ill, so I didn't take anymore. However I still kept getting symptoms, nausea, racing pulse, no appetite etc. Its Monday morning now, so the Trimethoprim should have been out of my system a couple of days, yet I still feel sickly and still dont have much of an appetite at all. I'm going to wait till my water test comes back and if it shows infection, I will ask them to prescribe another antibiotic, I will never take Trimethoprim again! I hope you eventually felt fit and well again Ann.
    • Posted

Hello jacqui, I hope you feel better now, Its poison this medicine. Its ruined my life I want to know how soon the recovery can be x
  • Posted

Hello ann can you please message back and let me know if you are feeling better. Ihave bad stomach and bad anxiety and had a course of three days. Its been 11days now and I am still pushing myself through it x
  • Posted

I started with what i though was a UTI mid last week, so Saturday morning i went to my GP they tested urine but said nothing un toward but gave e a 3 day course of Trimetoprim by Sunday evening i was no better infact a whole lot worse and in so much pain and discomfort, i went to urgent care, saw the triage nurse who put me on the list to see the doctor, he said that the sample showed that i have a urine infection and it had been sent to the lab he changed my antibiotics to co amoxiclav  250mg, now monday i felt a bit better by tuesday afternoon i got worse again unbearable at 1am i went to Urgent care after calling 111, they refused to do anything told me to see my GP the next day to get lab results, to see if im on the right antibiotics, So wednesday went to see my GP he dip sticked my urine 3 times it came back negative to UTI each time, however when i asked him about the lab results he said oh it wasnt tested (this was the samle taken and ent sunday evening) because the nurse put it in the wrong sample pot and lab wouldnt test it. so we are still no further on, i am still in a shed load of discomfort, pressure unbearable the fact i want to pee and cant, and the pressure if i drink loads only a little comes out and no one will help me they just keep telling me the antibiotics will work when they celarly arent im now in the process of going to A+E
    • Posted

Please try natural remedies.. antibiotics will mess you ip I am still suffering slightly 2 months later. What worked for me and uti's .. warm cup of water with himalayan or sea salt. 2000mg of vitamin C. And I had a bowl of asparagus and try cranberry juice. Hopefully it will be better without the need of antibiotics. Search natural remedies. The ones mentioned are the ones I tried twice with success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.