Trimethoprim not working?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, 

Over the past few days I've felt off and had discomfort in my bladder and lower down and was diagnosed with a UTI just yesterday. 

I began taking trimethoprim last night, taking two tablets immediately like that prescription said and then taking one per night after. 

However over night after taking two tablets at about 2.30 pm (it is now 8am the next day), my symptoms have worsened and have turned painful with a very high bladder pressure. 

My experience with Keflex - Keflex usually kicks in by now but I can't take it because I've already had it three times this year. 

I was wondering if this means trimethoprim is not working or if it just needs more time to kick in? Keep in mind its only been 17.5 hours since I took the initial double dose.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

was put on the same med for uti...it didn't agree with me...but I would give it more time..as its a great med for this complaint...give it another day and see how you feel...xx

• Posted

Yeah I got a little concerned because this morning I felt very faint and passed out and I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the infection or if it was the antibiotic. I have a very unwanted history of UTI's, but never once have I fainted from someone. 

I had a chat with a few more people and they also said trimethoprim didn't kick in until 24-48 hours later so I'm just going to be more patient!

Thank you for the response mariano its greatly appreciated!

• Posted

I have been dealing with on going uti symptoms.. Doctor put me on a 6 week antibiotic . I still had symptoms and my doctor was not helping me. So I went the holistic way. I am taking a probiotic and I am also inserting one.  I am also taking 2 liquid holistic stuff he gave me. I wish I knew the name bit I don't. I hope you can also find something to help you. I am. It our of the woods but I'm hoping it works.

• Posted

Can you tell me what probiotics you are using tomhelp.  I am on third set off nitrofurantoin and no luck in getting rid of e coli yet but its making me very depressed.  Any others have this side effect?
    • Posted

I inserted probiotic last night. So far so good..But I also took 2 orally.

I would habe to check the name   they were give. From his natural store. People may think I'm bits for going this route. But I can't stand the antibiotics given to me and weren't even helping. These sixty throw you away for 6 weeks by telling you take this and  we are left figuring what to do. I understand. I was to the point if depression..I barely left my house. I kept reading up on what to do. So that's when my girlfriend told me I should go see holistic doctor. Like I said. I'm Still🙏🙏🙏 it works.

• Posted

If you find Trimethoprim does not make your symptoms better after even a couple of days the bacteria you have may well not be susceptable to that antibiotic.... It would be best to relate all your findings back to your doctors.   Hit and miss is the name of the game re UTI's and it is not good enough because a good lab can see what antibiotic needs to be given.......   Doctors do not like patients telling them they know what should be

done but if that's the case so what?

• Posted

Hi Micklemus, 

Yes as it turns out its highly likely the bacteria causing my infection have developed resistance to trimethoprim. I ended up demanding the Keflex two days later after waking up in horrible pain and of course in less than 24 hours the symptoms began to subside and within a few days I had no symptoms whatsoever. Sadly four days after finishing this load of keflex I ended up getting another infection. They gave me keflex again, this time a higher dose and less than 24 hours later my symptoms were almost unnoticeable. 

it seems as though the trimethoprim just isnt enough anymore, but I'm glad I have something that works. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.