Trimethoprim Side Effects?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am taking 200mg Trimethoprim to treat a urine infection. I started my dose last night and within a couple of hours i started getting nausea and stomach pain. In the morning i felt worse the pain in my stomach was worse and i felt more sick. now they symptoms has eased off a bit but i was wondering is this normal? has anybody else experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, after being in Hospital with a Serious Kidney infection I was sent home with course of Trimethoprim. As already very unwell I took the Medication and had daily urine checks the infection didn't Decease so I was prescribed a higher dose. Within a day I was in extreme pain everywhere, nausea and sickness,fever tummy and head pains ect. My husband went on line and found out so many people were having serious side affects like mine. This is down to Trimethoprim. Hubby phoned our GP who stopped the Medication straight away and prescribed another Antibiotic. Talk to your GP and get them to change your Medication. By the way did you read the information that comes in the box for side affects.
    • Posted

Hi Angela I'm sorry to hear about your previous condition it sounded like an awful ordeal. I felt really awful yesterday after taking them in the morning but today I'm not feeling too bad, still have nausea and a slight headache. I may have to phone my GP tomorrow seen as today is a Sunday. Yes I read the information and it said the side effects would be stomach trouble so I just thought feeling that bad was just part of it, how high was your dose?
  • Posted

Hi David, my dose was Doubled to what your taking so my reaction was sever. I no longer am allowed to take them as beleive it they can damage the Kidneys sad

It usually takes up to 3 days for meds to get working so see how you are feeling tomorrow if unsure speak to your GP, there are other Antibiotics they can prescribe.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon, its miserable having a Urine infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.