Trimethoprim side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've got a problem that's really worrying me and wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.

I was first given nitrofurantoin then after 2 days prescribed Trimethoprim 2 weeks ago for a UTI. I was told to take 200mg twice a day for 7 days, I took the medicine for approximately one full day before I began to feel unwell, I was getting strange stomach and back pains, stiff neck and shooting pains and cramps in my legs. So after 4 days I stopped the antibiotics even though my doctor said they had never heard of these side effects but before I took the them I felt fine within myself and had no muscle pains. It's been a week since I've been off them and I'm still getting muscle twinges and strange sensations in my legs and wondering if this was all bought on by the antibiotics as it doesn't make sense, especially as my urine tests came back that there was no UTI infection in the first place!

Any help or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, 

Sorry you aren't feeling yourself.

I had a very similar experience to Trimethoprim, just a little more on the extreme side. You can read my story i posted. Unfortunately, i still have side effects, muscle aches, eye sight problems, tingling, and stomach problems but they have definately improved its just taken a long time. 

My best advice to you is get a good probiotic and try and replace the good bacteria which has been killed off by the anti-biotics. Also have a look at the floxiehope website, this helped me a lot, as i was convinced i had MS or any other auto immune disease for a very long time. 

Feel free to message me if you need any reassurance, help or guidance. 

Kerry

• Posted

Hi Kerry, thanks for replying.

I'm glad to hear your side effects seemed to improve.

It's just very frustrating when the doctors won't consider it being the antibiotic and are insisting on carrying out more tests which keep coming back normal which leaves me even more confused on what it could be as like you I am becoming convinced that I have some kind of underlying disease or something worse.

I know it's early days and maybe I need to give it a few more weeks to be fully out of my system.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I know exactly how you feel having taken Nitrofurantoin first which didn't help, my doctor also said he had never heard of the sideeffects I experienced on Trimethoprim and was aderment it was not the medication which was highly irritating. I think there are enough people here to say it needs looking into again...

I took months rather than weeks to get over the effects whilst still continuing to work and suffer the symptoms of what appeared to be a UTI, I still have issues but it appears my bladder now has an intolerance to caffeine, fizzy drinks and orange juice and some sweetners, out of no where, it is so strange, I'm only 30.

The Trimethoprim caused me itchyness which is a known side affect and also made me very tired almost dopey during the 7 days I took it. After taking it I had a numbness in my head which I found very difficult to explain to my doctor, I felt off-balance when walking and a loss of IQ, like i was concussed.

I also experienced pains in my neck, right arm and felt generally disjointed. I made several trips to the osteopath ages after trying to sort myself out. The best thing is lots of rest I found and Probiotics.

Here's hoping you feel better soon, keep us posted.

Graham.

• Posted

Hi Graham, thanks for responding.

I have taken some of the advice and got myself some probiotics and some vitamins that are specific for immune system and muscles.

It doesn't quite sound the same as the numbness you have experienced in your head, but since stopping the Trimethoprim I have also been suffering extremely bad headaches that have even caused a strange tingling in my face. Also something else I have never had before taking them.

Trying to be patient and accept that this is all caused by the antibiotics and hoping it improves.

I hope it does for you too.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Hope the side effects are easing now. Is this the first time you've taken Trimethoprim?

I'm still experiencing side effects 18 months on, but that because I've taken it three times, with each reaction increasing in severity. The third time has had a longer lasting effect (see my other post) and it has now been investigated by a neurologist. He confirmed that the lasting side effects are due to the Trimethoprim, which was such a relief to hear as my GP (and other GPs within the surgery) simply didn't believe me or believe that trimethoprim is capable of producing such side effects.

After the first time I took trimethoprim, it took a couple of weeks for the cramping muscles and tingling to disappear completely. Overall it took a good month to recover to get my appetite back, but weight back on, etc. unfortunately it was the second and third time of taking it that really did some damage.

Let us know how you're getting on :-)

• Posted

Hi, thanks for responding.

Yes it was the first time I've ever taken Trimethoprim. Which also ended up being for no reason.

That's good to hear that a doctor finally acknowledged it was the antibiotics as my GP also just seems sure that it would not cause these sort of side effects.

It's been almost 3 weeks since I stopped the antibiotics and this last week my leg pains/cramps have felt a little bit better but still not 100%. Can I just ask if you found doing more exercise helped or made the leg cramps worse for you? As I'm usually very active and want to start exercising again but am afraid this might make it worse?

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Exercise didn't make it worse, although to be honest I found that it took a while to return to my normal exercise routine after the first and second time. The third time is a different story- I'm probably now the unfittest I have ever been.

In my experience, exercise didn't make the pins and needles / cramp worse, so if you can exercise, I would slowly introduce your routine again.

Take it easy!

Charley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.