Trimethoprim side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve just completed a 3 day course of trimethoprim for a bladder infection - worst 3 days of my life!! Temp of 102, a rash over my chest and arms but worst of all.... joint pains, so severe I felt like I was about 100 years old, I couldn’t stand up, couldn’t straighten my right arm or wrist, couldn’t lift anything heavier than a cup of tea, restricted movement, couldn’t straighten up - was either crawling around or sleeping. Starting to feel better now I’ve been off them for 2 days so I hope I continue to recover and there’s no lasting damage - anyone else had this? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I was a bit worried about replying to you because of your user name but here goes .  I have a severe reaction to trimethorprim ,  skin rash , temperature , very high heart rate and fainting when I stand up .  It got much worse each time I had a course , starting with just the rash and a bit of dizziness but by the third course it was a major reaction . Get it put on your notes with the GP !  xx
    • Posted

Thanks, sorry about the user name, it’s a nickname because of my last name. 

I’m definitely going to get it put in my notes, just worried if it’ll clear up when the antibiotics have worn off, stopped taking them 3 days ago. I am currently left with painful joints x

• Posted

I got it taken off completely from my list of reactions to drugs. I found trimethoprim the very worst antibiotic I have ever had. The very first one I took was enough for me. I was sitting with a cup of tea when I remembered to take the tablet so took it and sat for a while and when I stood up my legs wouldn't move and I felt weak all over. It was a terrible feeling I am not good with antibiotics anyway. My doctor then gave me ciprofloxacin and It wasn't good either. I felt weak and foggy headed on it. I avoid both these antibiotics. 

Hope you are recovering now. 

• Posted

Thanks, all better except the swelling and pain at the joints on my right side which I’m hoping will go. Not sure how long it takes for the antibiotic to be out of my system though?

I’m also allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin so now I’ll add trimethoprim to the list unfortunately x

• Posted

I can't take amoxicillin nor penicillin either. My face swells and get a rash. I can't take paracetamol it gives me huge blister like wields that's why I try to avoid medication if I can. UTI's are different they won't disappear without them. 

Hope you keep improving and you find something, like me, that does agree with us

best wishes 

• Posted

Can I ask you... what antibiotic do you take if you get a UTI? If I get another one it would be useful to know as you sound similar to me x
    • Posted

Tetracycline but am not happy on it either but have to take something. 

I have since been put on low dose estriol and so far it is feeling better I constantly thought I had a UTI and then a severe burning for a long time before I spoke to my GP and low dose estriol is what he recommended. 

Can I ask how old you are? 

• Posted

Hi

I’m hoping this UTI doesn’t come back, can’t bear having to try a 3rd different antibiotic after what’s happened. And I’m 50 x

• Posted

Well my GP seemed to think it was a problem caused by oestrogen levels going down -  and I did have repeated UTI's so that was why he put me on estriol cream. I read and reread every article I can find and am still not happy on the estriol. I take it once a week now but took it nightly for two weeks and it is working. He said the dose was so small he would struggle to find any at all in my bloodstream and it was proven to be beneficial for post menopausal women. I have to say I haven't had any more UTI's 

Are you in the UK I am in Scotland and the weather we've had lately has been so hot and so different from our normal cold rainy days. Supposedly another two weeks of this lovely weather 

Best of luck in trying to find an antibiotic 

• Posted

I’m in the uk but thanks for the insight and advice. That’s really helpful x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.