Trimethoprim - sudden pains in joints

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed Trimethoprim this week for a UTI.

Yesterday I was perfectly fine all day but in the evening I developed a sudden severe pain in my left foot across the toes and underneath the foot and it started to go red and swell. It has made walking very difficult.

Today just as suddenly my right knee has developed a severe pain and with both I can now barely hobble.

Not sure if this is linked to the Trimethoprim but I was fine before taking that?!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Be vary careful and speak to a doctor asap. I had a severe allergic reaction to trimetoprim in April last year and ended up in isolation in hospital as it supressed my bone marrow. Prior to being admitted I had a whole host of symptoms, sickness, joint pain and covered in a rash from head to toe, i ended up on steroids for months.

when I was admitted they weren't surprised as soon as I said I was taking trimethoprim, it seems to be less uncommon than we are led to believe.

Hope you are ok

• Posted

Oh my god I can so relate to this, my legs feel so achy and crampy, I feel I have done 10 rounds with tyson :twisted: I hate feeling like this but I will presist I only have 2 tabs left to take :D I hope my UTI clears up i could not bear another day on this tab..... will my legs go back to normal... is anyone else feeling like this... please reply thanks x :lol:
  • Posted

I'm currently on Trimethoprim. On it for 10 days now and have come out with an itchy rash all over my back, a stiff neck, joint pain in my shoulder and feel litlle light headed and sick. I have another week to go but not sure I should carry on taking the tablets, its the weekend and my doctor is not contactable, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Posted

I was prescribed Trimethoprim for a kidney infection on Saturday and by Monday night I started getting severe pain in my fingers wrists, knees and ankles only in the joints not the muscles, it seems to be worse in a morning and at night.... I have been told to take 2 a day 1 in a morning and 1 at night, coincidence? I am 32 and suddenly feel like a 90 year old this morning I was in pain just walking down the stairs, I have 2 left and I don't know what to do as I know it can be bad to just stop taking a course of antibiotics any advice? Reading the previous posts I am getting slightly worried as there seems to be a lot of patients with similar symptoms
  • Posted

Hi I have trimethoprim as preventative and continuously over 20 years with liquid yellow stools ,taking loperamide most of time too which I adjust .Could this have caused the fatty liver,the gallstone not treated and the cardiac arrest,nitrofurantoin/macro bid for the 20 years prior.This is as Utis suffering poor research possibly as more women have .The myth about no symptoms no treat is outrageous especially when over 60. Could it be no sex so not reinfect img other and yourself?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.