Triphobia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Is this a real condition it does describe my symptoms going back years fear or repetitive words words repeated over and over

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not familiar with the term "triphobia" but wonder whether it's possible that you are actually referring to Trypophobia, which is the extreme aversion to repeated patterns of small bumps or holes. Accordingly, the term Monologophobia is an aversion to a significant repetition of words within the same sentence that appears in written communication. Also within the realm of your question is the phenomenon of Echolalia, or the repetition of words by others that may or not be repetitive to the extent of aversion and then there is the phenomenon of Palilalia wherein one's own words become repetitive to varying extents and this is quite common among persons affected to varying degrees by autism.

You don't mention whether it is aversion to repetition in the manner of written or spoken words, possibly both forms. If the aversion has been present that has been present for most of your life then the possibility that some form and degree of autism may be responsible.

A point to note here is that many people very often confuse the extremes of repetitive behaviors as strictly within the realm of OCD but it is incorrect interpretation. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is not as common as most people believe and there has even been a sort of movement by people in general to create an extremely complex and diverse array of specific attributes that result in context-specific forms of OCD, i.e. "relationship OCD" and many other forms, all of which constitute a great miscarriage of the single form of the disorder. There is no such specificity that broadens the disorder but rather the oftentimes self-diagnosis by wrongly identifying patterns that are believed to constitute the disorder that is far less common than is believed. I do not suggest that to be your case in question but merely wish to point it out here as relevant to terms of patterned behavior and thoughts. To conclude this point, in true OCD there must always be the presence of a compulsion that exists of a particular manner that is intended to suppress the underlying obsession. It is the compulsion, not the obsession, that drives the true OCD-afflicted individual to seek treatment because it very often interferes with their social or occupational function and performance. Again, this point is not aimed at you in particular regarding your own inquiry but rather provided for general information to those that may be familiar with the rather sharp rise in discussions by persons making claims regarding OCD as though it bears a unique phenomenon relevant to their specific life patterns.

To return to your specific inquiry, much of what I've described relevant to terms that you may alternatively be referring to, these phenomenon are not exclusive to the presence of aversion or deep-seated fear/phobia. It may be helpful if you can provide a real-world example that you've experienced and your response to it in order for me to possibly expound on my reply.

Regardless, it's vitally important to remember that with respect to any phenomenon that arises in the lives of people, such phenomenon does not necessarily represent a malady unless it interferes or disrupts your life in a social or occupational context. So if you choose to provide a follow-up to my response, please take this exception into account and whether it is relevant in your instance. I say this because many people live throughout their lives with fear wherein the object of such fear is avoided to the extent that it often influences lifestyles and preferences, but it does not suggest that these fears necessarily rise to the extent that warrant clinical intervention. Thus, some expressions of fear exist as merely part of life and do not warrant a label in the clinical sense. In fact, nothing should warrant a label. Life is not static but instead fluid over time and all people change in adaptation to it. So it is not the manifestation of phenomenon in the lives of humans but rather how each person particularly responds and whether it interrupts their lives in a detrimental fashion to such an extent that they seek relief or change for the better.

• Edited

Yes thanks clearly misspelt It only interferes with my life if I cannot avoid instances of the phenomena. It is somehow linked to claustrophobia

• Posted

I see. Are you stating that you believe the two disorders to be related or that when you experience Trypophobia, it is accompanied by Claustrophobia in your specific case?

Merely for clarification while on the topic, although Claustrophobia and Trypophobia can co-exist and manifest within the same person, they are actually separate and more commonly do not appear simultaneously.

Regardless, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy demonstrates effectiveness in individuals suffering from phobias. While medications exist that can suppress phobias, they typically exist as a last resort.

Best regards

• Posted

I am saying I have both and get the same feeling of fear panic and helplessness with Trypophobia as when I am claustrophobic

• Posted

Ah. Understood and than you for your reply. I inquired because phobias, although distinct, very naturally share a common response. Through careful examination, phobias can most often be traced to their point of origin wherein an irrational fear results in subsequent fear and avoidance.

The brain is quite unique with respect to tendencies toward very fundamental survival and safety instincts that are shaped throughout life. Realize that impact upon these instincts sometimes form out of irrational perceptions that arise from collective information from the body's senses. The brain nevertheless acts upon these irrational perceptions very similarly to those that are entirely rational and promotes similar fear and avoidance responses whenever presented with similar circumstances. This tendency is established so that it places the individual furthest from perceived danger or harm and closest to safety in order to increase survival tendencies. In other words, safety is perceived to be increased upon increasingly faster or earlier detection of objects or circumstances that provoked the original fear. Thus, environmental cues detected by the senses can result in faster detection and avoidance. Vigilance is maintained by phobias.

So it's important to realize that phobias constitute a normal instinctual process that has been mistakenly formed out of irrational perceptions or distortions of the senses that can often be intertwined with other factors present at the time the original fear and avoidances are formed. The combination of relevant factors in instances where they are present and influential can sometimes be quite complex. Even the absence of factors that should be present but are not can further the complexity.

Any type of prolonged analysis regarding origins of phobia manifestation is more ancillary to diminishing contemporary reactions to the phobia(s) such that normal patterns of daily life are uninterrupted, which is more primary and less costly in achieving success. Again, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be quite effective in diminishing negative responses to phobias and any avoidance factors that together produce limitations and/or interruption to normal lifestyle patterns.

Should my response draw forth questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to reply.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.