Triple AAA repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,im one of the lucky people who survived after a near burst,i was admitted into hospital on the 24/1/18 at 1600 and at 1930 i was in theatre having a EVAR and i also had a Femorofemoral crossover bypass graft,all this done on a spinal/epidural anaesthesia,was only in hospital for 2 days now what im asking any of you guys that have had the same how you got on when you got home ,

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different,  Jon had elective open procedure in June 2017. He was in coma for 8 days discharged after 10 days, back in hospital after 4 weeks for another week dehydration due to C diff. scar split so open wound for 5 months had to heal inside out. Taken 8 months of recovery back to work today! Jon is 61. Long recovery still tires easily. Wish you all the best.
  • Posted

that sounds like an ascending thoracic aneurysm? not an abdominal? the level of risk in each is ,assivelydifferent. the latter usually takes months to recover from and requires intesive care.

This AAA bisiness confuses everyone.

• Posted

I meant the former (ascending just above the heart)) takes months to recover from and requires intensive care.not the latter - abdominal.(Not major surgery).
    • Posted

I can assure you it was abdominal unless i was told different and they wrote it down wrong on discharge letter,also one of the surgeons must have lied to me as he told me i had just had major surgery but you seem to know better so next time i see my GP who came to see me 2 days after i came out i will pull him up on that one as he called it major surgery as well.but you say they are wrong.
  • Posted

Sorry peter I thought I was replying  to to kB about Jon. I don’t doubt that yours was abdominal. My dad died of a burst abdominal and am so glad yours was treated so well. I have an ascending and the surgery for open heart is very scary.
  • Posted

I wish there were two separate forums for these two types of aortic anuerysms. It just causes confusion to combine them in one forum. We need a forum for TAA (Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms) called AAA in the US for (Ascending Aortic Aneurysm).

and a separate one for the much more common Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (known as AAA in the UK) which does not require open heart surgery and life support during surgery but is in fact a simple procedure.

They are both critical if left untreated but their surgery is completely different.

• Posted

Send a message to the Moderator via the report this and request it.
    • Posted

you're right I will...if it doesn't take too long and is straightforward....

• Posted

It does cause me confusion from time to time as well
    • Posted

I  don’t think you can say Abdominal is a simple procedure, Jon’s surgery was over 6  1/2 hours and most people are in ICU  for a few days.  Jon was unlucky he was in a coma on a ventilator for 8 days. 8 months on he is still not the same person, he struggles through. He came close to dying multiple times, in fact I was told he was the sickest person in ICU for 48 hours. Every case is different, every case life threatening, every surgery life saving. Every surgery for  Abdominal Aneurysm is major surgery. Jon has a scar from his breast bone to his pelvis. His was elective open surgery as EVAR was not an option. It had not burst so there were no major complications during the surgery. There are so many factors at play here, does it really matter where the aneurysm is? It is scary for everyone and this forum should support everyone and their families. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.