Triple Arthrodesis with Achilles lengthening

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I had a triple arthrodesis of right foot  and my Achilles lengthened on the 8th March 2018 . I was absolutely terrified about the length of the recovery process and the pain that I had read about in so many blogs . Well I just wanted to add my story as I know every one is different. I had a cast on for 7 weeks total non weight bearing then I had a boot for 7 weeks partial weight bearing . I got my boot of and within two days I am in my trainers full time . I will be 15 weeks tomorrow. I had a bit of swelling every night so I elevate and ice and in the morning it’s pretty well down to normal again . Regarding the pain I have had literally very little pain nothing that a couple of co codomel would not sort . My wounds healed really well and I can say the hardest part was the isolation and not being able to drive . My physio has said there is no reason now why I can’t go back to driving just need to practise my emergency stop lol 😂. So my journey has been slow but nothing like I had read in so many blogs . Positive blog 😘

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great stuff. It is better to be prepared for worse then it is a relief.

Wishing you luck xx

• Posted

Thank you for your experience. I am having my left ankle/foot fuzed and I’m scared . Listen to most its going to hurt and swell. I’m very afraid of blood clots because I had a stroke 7 1/2 years ago. I’m happy your experience was good and you shared it. God Bless you!
    • Posted

Hi jan it’s natural to be scared I was too . It didn’t help that every thing I read and researched suggested pain was intense and foot would swell . I really did as doctor said first 7 weeks foot was elevated as much as possible. Praying all goes well for you . 
    • Posted

Thank you ! I’m happy your doing as well as you are. I saw my Dr today. Because of the stroke and a small hole in my heart....he wants a hematologist to do a work up on my blood clotting. Also he wants 6 weeks of PT to get stronger to use the scooter and to be able to get up on one foot. Then he will do a foot block so I can stay awake . Be praying for me.🙏

• Posted

Hi jan the scooter takes a bit of getting used to lol but vital in getting around . I actually used mine along with a simmer frame it made it much safer . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.