tripple bone fusion with implants

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since the operation on the 1st of Feburary I have regretted having  the operation . Can anyone tell me if  they have asked  for a reversal and  had any implants removed because basicly I thought this would be for the better but  it as not worked  out like that. I have pain everyday and ended up with a limp and have more pain when walking down hill or going down inclines. I would not  hesitate having  it rerversed because i have regretted having  it done in  the first  place.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have heard about taking out plates and screws but your physician would know best. A friend had a 5th Metatarsal screw work it's way out however mine is a lateral one now horizonal. Wow your injury may take longer to heal. Let us know

• Posted

Hello 2dl,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued pain. I know that sometimes hardware can be removed (is that what you mean by implants?) if it is bothersome. Unfortunately, unfusing a bone is not possible. What does your doctor say about your continued pain? Foot pain is awful, unlike any other pain. I wish you the best finding relief.

• Posted

Sorry to hear things are not going as hoped. What do you mean by implants? I had a double bone fusion with 2 titanium plates in Sept 2015. Still have discomfort but nothing like what I had prior to surgery. You need to go back to your surgeon in the first instance but they usually do not like removing the hardware for about 2 years and only then they will if the patient has severe pain, infection, etc. Remember the mechanics of your foot change after bone fusion and your foot will be more rigid. Maybe go to a foot physiotherapist as I went to one and it helped me immensely as I too had regrets.
  • Posted

Yes, you can have implants removed.

But that would mean that those joints would need to be fused.

Are you speaking of your ankle?

It takes 9-18 months for a major weight bearing ankle or foot to heal completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.