Triptans

Posted , 5 users are following.

What have you found to be the best triptan now that imitrex isn't the only one.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If taken a couple triptans, none have been a favorite per say. Imitrex worked for awhile, it stopped working to treat my pain after a few months. By the time I was switched to new pain medicines I had managed to start effectively managing my migraines and I rarely need to take pain medicine.

I can't be much help on which worked for me better, other than to say switching up every few months seemed to help me. My body became adjusted every few months and switching helped keep them effective.

For awhile my doctor switches me off of triptans and seot he's my to butalbital. This helped me quite a bit for awhile.

• Posted

What did you change or do that helped you not to have to take pain meds?
    • Posted

I cut MSG COMPLETELY out of my diet, I found that it was a major trigger for me. It's in a lot of foods (less now because there are more people cutting it). I also started taking Topomax. This has worked extremely well for me in the preventative way, I went through quite a few different medicines before I got to this one, but it has been a miracle for me. I went from chronic migraines to barely having 1 every few months doing these two things.

• Posted

Also, cutting stress. I know it's one of those that everyone says, but when I got out of an awful relationship and started changing my life I started to do better with my migraines.

• Posted

Hi Alecia

I too have had less migraines the past couple of months and think it is due to changing what we eat.  We are eating as much organic vegetables as possible......staying away from processed foods (that is important) stopped eating bread with lunch...instead eating a lot of healthy salads. Breads are hard to give up.....so are potatoes!!  Trying to eat grass fed meats and wild caught seafood like Salmon....drink lots of water. One cup of coffee a day........cut way back on sugar. Stopped having ice cream every night.

Changing diet Sure has helped migraines and body is healthier.  YES ...no MSG or GMO's.  Here in the states the Paleo diet is very good for us.

Yes....stress is not good!

have a great day everyone!

Wendy

• Posted

Rizatriptan works well for me as long as I take it on the onset of headache......that is very important.
  • Posted

I take sumatriptan and have found that it works really well.

• Posted

Ive taken a few over the years, the only one I couldn't tolerate was imigran due to nasty side effects. I took Almotriptan for about 10 years but changed to Frovatriptan 

a couple of months ago, I find them more effective so that I take less for each migraine episode

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.