Trivial mitral and tricuspid regurgitation - check in the future?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 70 years old.  After a heart murmur was discovered during a pre-op assessment, I had an echocardiogram.  This showed trivial mitral and tricuspid regurgiation and some thickening fo the leaflets.  I was told everything was fine and the trapeziectomy is going ahead.

So, all good, but the murmur and subsequent echo result has left me a little unsure.  Can anyone tell me if this slight valve regurgitation needs any kind of check in the years to come?  It all came as very much a surprise to me.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

My mum was diagnosed with heart murmur several years ago.She is 85 now and just taking amlodipine for her hypertension, however sheis suffering from ankle and leg edema which is being monitored and she was prescribed furusemide (diuretic).She didn't have any heart procedures done.

Praying things will work out fine for you as well as with my mom.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I take medication for hypertension myself.  I hope your mum continues to keep well and the medication helps her.
  • Posted

My murmur was discovered after a cough I had for 2 years , my lung consultant listened to my heart with a stethoscope and there it was!! Could have had it since birth. Mine had to be repaired or replaced and while waiting I has awful coughing fits at night bringing u fluid
  • Posted

Oops! Posted too soon! Anyway just to say I had a repair 3 years ago and feel fine. To be honest I felt fine before the op as hadn't had breathlessness or any symptoms apart from the cough.. As yours is only slight they obviously don't feel it needs attention so try not to worry. If they thought it needed to be sorted they would have referred you. I would say though that maybe a regular echocardiogram would be good just so they can keep an eye on you. I have one every year to check everything is ok. 

• Posted

Thank you Linda.  It's good to know that your valve has been repaired successfully.  I'm sure you're right that they would have referred me if there had been a big problem, but I do think a check - maybe a regular echocardiogram - would be a good idea. I don't have any symptoms either, at the moment.   I've made an appointment to see my GP and will discuss it with him.  Thanks again.

• Posted

4 years ago I had an aortic valve replacement. All fine. Apparently it is seated well and working well. I now have a leaky tricuspid valve which medics won't operate on as it would be too dangerous. They are talking of medication to help with the problem. I am already on digoxin, warfarin and water tablets. Is anyone else on medication for leaky tricuspid?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.