Trochanter hip bursitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed with greater trochanter hip bursitis in her left hip. This has been going on over 7 months. Her orthopedic has tried many, many different treatments with nothing working. She wants to try IT band lengthening, but two of my daughter's physical therapist say her IT band isn't tight at all. We have now gotten a consultation with a chiropractor who did tests on her. Her xrays are showing a rotated pelvis and curve in her lower spine, probably do to her limp. Has anybody used a chiropractor for treatment? Want to try everything before putting her through surgery that might or might not work. If any body has any ideas please help, she's only 14

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear what your daughter is going through. I don't have any experience with her condition. However, I know it is important to get many opinions and try different things. Most importantly though is to go with your gut feeling- with doctors and treatments. Do what feels right. My 16 yr old niece had to go through MANY physical therapists, chiropractors, etc. until ultimately the spine center. Myself- went through many chiropractors, physical therapists, 4 orthopedic surgeons before finding the one I trusted and who properly diagnosed me. My point being- it may be a long road, but you'll find what she needs. Think positive and be relentless in your pursuit to your daughters health and happiness.
    • Posted

Thank you for the support and advice. It seems like all we are doing is getting different opinions and physical therapy. We did find a physical therapist we love and trust, unfortunately he's at a lost to why she's not improving at all. Bless his heart he's still trying, but he's only going to do so much if there's no signs of improvement. That's how we lost our first physical therapist and first chiropractor after so much time and her pain the same they said that's all they could do. Can I ask did you feel chiropractor helped? We are only used to the medical field and have never tried chiropractor for anything before. I'm really trying everything before a surgery option which may or may not work. I feel bad for my daughter she's getting more and more discouraged every new opinion we get and it doesn't help her improve. We definitely know it takes time, but after 6 months it's like we are still on day one.
    • Posted

Oh gosh- I understand her (and you) feeling more and more discouraged!!!! With my hip situation, arthritic due to degenerative joints, I had horrible pain and limited movement for 3 years before getting the right diagnosis! I was only 30, very athletic so nothing made sense.

The chiropractors did not help me- almost hurt me more. But I am glad I went to them for more opinions and to eliminate things that were not my problem. You have to exhaust all avenues to find the real problem and real solution! I think it's worth trying the chiropractors but don't let them hurt her! She's young and still developing, definitely don't want to cause more damage!

My niece I had mentioned before, had been in PT since she was 12- nothing seemed to help, and they gave multiple wrong diagnosis! Finally her pediatrician sent her to the Spine Institute and by 16 she had back surgery. We had to try Everything before surgery. So we understand how you feel with your daughter! I'm sending you all my healing vibes and positive energy hoping you'll find what's right for your daughter!

• Posted

Hi Patricia, so sorry to hear about your daughter . I went through this with both hips for over a year after a car accident . It was the most excruciating pain and kept me up nights , because I couldn't sleep on either side and due to a back injury and neck injury it was difficult to sleep on my back . My brother is a really great chiropractor and he has a large physical therapy side . However I learned a lot about this illness and it is so nasty , I tried everything all the natural anti-inflammatories and Voltair and gel on both hips constantly end rolling my IT band and taking anti-inflammatories for a little while , while doing tons of resting because that's what you have to do is rested and not use your hip at all for even sitting . First of all you have to find out what's causing it and because I have a bad back and have had sacroiliac joint dysfunction . The car accident shoved my hips into the sides of the seat , which probably caused it . It's important to find the cause so that it doesn't happen again . I researched online and found that people live with this for 20 years . I can't do that so I finally found an orthopedic surgeon who does arthroscopic surgery in a in and out bursectomy with IT band windowing and debridement, which are very very important in that surgery , that has been the best decision I ever made . Good luck to you and your daughter and hopefully she can resolve it with icing and rest . Some doctors told me it could take three months of total rest to finally heal it . It is beneficial to go to a chiropractor to get her pelvis straight because my brother did and he is in Arizona . I hope this helps you and I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts , take care and be well

Warm regards Connie

• Posted

Thank you for all your information. My daughter is seeing a chiropractor right now, she has a rotated hip and a L6 spine bone which not too many people have. Her knees are hurting her now, they think her legs go inward when she walks is causing everything to be out of alignment. The chiropractor wants to work with her for three months and see if there's improvement. We are hoping this works. I also have read about this and am hoping it's not something she will always have. Her orthopedic drs are talking about the IT band lengthening surgery, but all her physical therapist say her IT band isn't tight. Did you have this surgery? I have read it's not very successful so nervous too put her through it if that's not what's causing her bursitis. How was recovery for the surgery? We are trying everything before surgery option, but quickly are running out of ideas. Everybody who has looked at her case are so confused to why she has this and why nothing being tried is helping. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.