trochanteric bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

hello, I am 49 and was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis few months ago. I have started with strong pain on the upper outer side of my thight list January and after several attempts following MRI results I was prescribed with Cymbalta 60mg/day. I am on this medication (+ sulpadol) since March 2014. I also underwent to a nerve block procedure on April 23, 2014. I had physio agopunture and muscle stimulation. Although the pain has slighltly dininished, I am still experiencing discomfort. I work as Sr Engineer and spend most of my day at my desk. walk in the evening and doingo some exercising when I have time......

I have recently moved to UK from Ireland (were I received treatment indicated above) and was wondering if there is anything else that I should do to help with resolution of this problem.

thank you in advance

regards

Monica

2 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As always diagnosis must precede treatment.

Trochanteric bursitis does occur, often in rheumatoid arthritis. The more common

cause of pain on the prominence of the hip, usually worse when lying on that prominence at night and when climbing stairs is "gluteal enstheopathy". This is an inflammation at the point of attachment of the powerful buttock muscles to the upper thigh bone. Increased body weight is often a factor in its cause. It should be revealed with competent MRI interpretation. Steroid injection into the site is usually curative. That injection is placed more accurately when performed under the x-ray visualisation.

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I am an active runner and I pray that this is temporary :-)  I am going to have my doctor examine me carefully for proper treatment. 
    • Posted

Also how about the periformis muscle?? Mine always seems to be in tough shape-pain to the touch and inflamated.
    • Posted

You may want to check with your doctor, about the piriformis. That is a muscle that usually inflamed due to low back injuries and that can go hand-in-hand with trocanteric bursitis but during the surgery , they don't mess with the piriformis muscle at all . If you can find a doctor , chiropractor who has VAX-D , there are only three doctors to have it in my state and you have herniations and bulges in your back , I highly recommend it as it is the only proven way to make that a nonissue . Without surgery . My brother is a doctor who has it and he has neurosurgeons bringing their wives to him because they know it works. I know because it had happened to me , good luck and happy new year
    • Posted

Guess what- you will have to cut back your running big time. You  have to build up your hip muscles doing PT,etc before you can go back to running otherwise you will be in your situation forever. I have an inflamed left hip bursa and cause by alot of walking and that my hip muscles  are very weak and I need to get these muscles strenghten before i can go back to playuing golf/walking - otherwise I will have this inflamed bursa for ever.
    • Posted

connie, I am curious as if I have a problem with my piriformis and what can be done as a solution. I have constant pain and the only way to get it to go away is by using a lacrosse ball under my left glute to relieve the pressure.
  • Posted

I too have been diagnosed with this very painful ailment in my left hip. I had a steroid injection on 2 January which took the pain away after approx 5-7 days however 7 weeks later it returned. I have been told you can only have 3 injections so I'm waiting until nearer my holidays before trying to have another one. The physio who gave me the injection simply asked me to point out where the pressure was worst and put the injection in at that point so I'm wondering, taking into account what jp66967 said about X-ray visualisation would have been better. This is affecting my sleep and I dread lying down at night which is when it is the most painful. I hate taking tablets and to be honest don't think ibuprofen help. Is there any stronger medication anyone would recommend? Don't want to take anti depressants. Will it ever go away!
    • Posted

A cortisone injection at this site should be done with the aid of ultra-sound, etc.  I have just been diagnosed...horrific pain....and will start with Physical Therapy. I took mega doses of Alleve which did nothing.

I have been started on a med named ''Modic''.    

I took only 1/2 tablet yesterday and 6 Tylenol spaced out..

I had improvement by bedtime !!

Today, I took a whole pill and the pain is greatly decreased....the sharpness especially.

I hope you can get this drug where you are.

• Posted

You probably mean "Mobic". This is an anti-inflammatory, sharing its generic class with many other anti-inflammatory medications which are widely used and widely available.

The following is an extract from a list of its possible side effects:

"This medicine may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term.

Mobic may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking Mobic, especially in older adults"..

• Posted

Yes, it is Mobic...a typo!   More days have passed and Mobic still helps, but not as well as that first day.    I have been told that my upper quads are very, very short (sitting at computer !!!) and

that that when I want those muscles to help with standing or sitting or twisting, etc. they rub on the trochanteric bursa

and have now caused the ''bursitis''.    So what is planned is a gentle ongoing stretch of those upper quad muscles without further injuring that bursa.  I am told that eventually this should solve the present problem...big time pain !!

..and then a change in my sitting patterns when at the computer

and/or frequent daily stretches as I will be shown.

I must have hope that it will take care of it.

**I am aware of the precautions with Mobic, just as with all the anti-inflammatories.  Lots of fluids are good.     A few more days and my 10 days will be up.

I may get a cortisone shot to carry me over until we can get

this healed.

• Posted

I am glad that you see a pathway ahead. Perhaps you could speak to your physiotherapist about an exercise bicycle. That is by far the best way or re-developing your quads.

An entheseopathy at the proximal origin of the quads is a little considered entity,

Best Wishes

• Posted

I find Diclofenac helps....especially when taken with paracetamol. I try to just take them twice a day, and make sure you have food in your stomach, or take with milk to line your stomach.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your comments I can tell that you have some kinesiology or biochemists knowledge. Yes my clogs had been very tight and my IT band especially after I got the steroid injections in my hips for trocanteric bursitis . After researching many many many patient boards and talking to people I found that in most cases they don't really work for and not for very long , at least when you're out of pain and it's not inflamed it's good to start PT stretches swimming bicycle riding and foam rolling . I just had a bursectomy yesterday and I'm really excited that I am on the way to healing. Don't arthroscopically and after I get done with PT on this one I will have the other side done . Then I will make sure I get my glutes in really good shape and strong and my ab s . I strongly encourage everyone to try natural anti-inflammatories in the meantime . Ground cloves really helped me a lot in capsules. Good luck to everyone and make God Bless
    • Posted

Dear Jeannie, I have dealt with this for six months and researched it online for the entire six months of horrible debilitating pain end was diagnosed after an MRI with trocanteric bursitis . It's extremely hard to get rid of it takes a lot of work and PT and rest and most people are willing to rested for six months . The best anti-inflammatories are natural ones look them up , please don't take very much ibuprofen or aspirin or any of those things that can damage your organs or prescription meds unless there for the pain . I just had a bursectomy with ITB windowing three days ago and already I can tell it's going to be great I have a doctor in Mesa Arizona who is an arthroscopic orthopedic surgeon and did it outpatient end the pain afterwards you can even really that bad . I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait to get my very busy & health club workout s going again. Many people suffer with this for years because they don't know that they need to rest it get a foam roller and roll your IT bands and get a walker that has wheels on both sides , so you're taking the pressure off of it , for sleeping use lidocaine patches from your doctor . Also one of those neck pillows that is made of heavy foam and wrap it around that bursa area for relief . I got a 4 inch foam end late text back wristpad to Walmart and it has helped wonderfully . I'm going to see how I do and then probably get my left hip done in a couple of months it's been so easy . I do not have any arthritis if you do that makes it a lot more complicated . I take lots of good ground cloves put in capsules and fish oil along with vitamins . Good luck to you and I pray you find relief from this horrible painful injury. Mine was caused from a car accident but I already had herniated and bulging Loback desks and my neck is also bad after a failed neck surgery . Take care and may God bless you and contact me anytime for any info I can help with .
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment end please take care of yourself, anything that is not natural can damage your organs over time , however there are topical patches and gels that you can use and the best patch for anti-inflammatory is Flector patches . It's just that some insurance companies don't cover them . Just remember your skin is your largest organ and everything can be taken in internally with not hurting your organs, by using your skin to absorb . Please read some of my other posts , although it's funny some words come out wrong because of my neck injury I have to use voice to text . Good luck to you end I pray you feel better soon
    • Posted

Cyanide and arsenic are "natural". Do they damage organs?
    • Posted

YOu need PT to strengthen your hips!!! I am finding this out now for myself.
    • Posted

Yes Mark it is so important to strengthen your glutes , there are easy isometric exercises you can do , by squeezing your buttocks together while laying on the floor and holding them for 10 seconds , then repeating 10 times while you deep breath. I have written several other posts for you today and pardon the errors in writing as I have to use voice to text . Good luck and stay positive . The other thing I noticed about myself , is that I am hugely lacking in the hormone that excretes oxytocin. , That can be a big problem for people as far as pain goes and healing , you can check that out online to as it pertains to getting well. For those that just don't get enough release of oxytocin there is a nasal spray , but just get a lot of hugs end other things that released this powerful mood and health regulator.

Take care, C

• Posted

HI Connie, I saw your post about having the hip bursectomy over a year ago and I was curious how your follow up has been?  I had this procedure done about 3 months ago and was highly encouraged by your post and few others that this would be the answer to 6 years of pain.  Things started off pretty well but now at 3 months I'm back to fairly consistent and chronic pain.  I've gone through PT but it seemed to increase my pain. I tried just light walking and that increased my pain so my PT told me to back off on activity.  Now I'm not doing much and have more pain!  I'm a pretty active person by nature and not doing anything is driving me crazy but the return of the hip pain (either with or without exercise) is very discouraging.  I can't imagine I have to live with this for the next 30 plus years.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I hope you are still doing well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.