Trochanteric Bursitis

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been suffering with this horrificly painful condition for 1 year 6 months.Ive had physiotherapy steroid injection and a few painkillers is anyone here suffering with the same.It has went away however returned with avengence.Really fed up trying everything worked through the pain for 3 weeks my job involves walking 10 + miles per day any info or self help please is appreciated

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I hope this information helps everyone. I had TB ,following a car accident.

Hi also have a bad back and neck and usually TB comes from injuring your hips if you already have herniated and bulging discs or sacroiliac joint dysfunction . Which I had . One of the things that is worth looking into is the damage that steroid injections due to your tendons and bone . I found out it destroys them and I've had 3 on. Neck, 5,on low back and hips . But I will never again . If you read my post I finally got an arthroscopic surgeon to cure the TB.

My brother is a chiropractor who has a large physical therapy side and machines. The best advice I got from another doctor was to rest my hips for six months and do nothing . But that's very hard to do, you have to get up and down from a chair. So that's extremely hard on hips . Getting a walker for a few months from a used store will help also take the pressure off your hips to rest them . If you do get injections work on strengthening your buttocks. Using isometric exercises as you lay on the floor is a good one and just squeeze them and hold for 10 seconds times 10 times . Then repeat twice a day . I am so sorry for what you're going through because I've been through it and it is hell especially the nights.

I have been in physical therapy for nine years 2 to 4 times a week and that's the only way to keep everything strong. And swimming is really really good for your hips and strengthening without putting stress on those tendons and muscles . You can read my other posts as to the action I took but I hope and pray that you find relief and get better soon . There is life after TB . Following my surgeries which were quick but a lot of PT afterwords for four months . Now I can sleep on either side and sleep well and no problems . Physical therapy after the pain has resided is the best advice if you can't find an arthroscopic surgeon who does the surgery . Good luck to everyone. Used to be a nursing years ago and several of my family are doctors and physical therapist . Please research online as much as you can about this and learn from other people. And God bless you all who deal with horrific pain .

• Posted

Hi, what type of doctor do you see to diagnosis this condition? I have been having pain since November 2015. I didnt know what it was or what was causing it. I had an MRI and X-rays. My neuro was going to send me to a pain management doctor for injections in my lower back. (I have HNP in neck, thoracic and lumbar) I looked up the "impression" on my MRI, and that when I found this condition. I am sooo very tired of the pain, esp. at night (as whoever has this knows). I read that this condition "usually fixes itself". Well, as I said, this has been going on since Nov. 2015. I dont want to waste my time having injections in my lower back if they arent going to help with this leg/hip pain. Again, what type of doctor should be seen?  Thank you

• Posted

Hi

My Pysiotherapist was the first to diagnose T.B. The injections are best done under xray into the bursa. I have had the condition 4 years now.

• Posted

If it really is Trochanteric bursitis then in theory it will eventually get better with corticosteroids, icing, rest, and probably some kind of fix be it physio or surgery to correct whatever is causing the bursa to be inflamed. There's probably friction and pressure on the bursa from an overlying tendon or muscle. Bear in mind though that ITB can't really be stretched as its a non elastic tissue.

A lot of cases of TB are actually misdiagnosed though and could really be tendonopathy which can have bursitis as a side effect. It's a weakness or tear in the tendon. I'm pretty certain that it's what I have and I have pain in my lower back at the top of my hip bones. It can be caused by weak gluteal muscles and get worse on increasing exercise level. I started the gym in October so I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong with me. Some days I literally can't walk.

I'm not saying this is what is wrong with anyone, I'm just sharing it as an option because it's important to get the correct diagnosis and I wouldn't have been told this by my physio or gp.

• Posted

Hello poodle,

I am so sorry for what you're going through. I have very bad neck from a neck surgery several years ago which is causing more problems because it's all metal and herniated and bulging disc in my

Low back. Though after a car accident three years ago I got TB in both hips and it was the most awful time in my life , no sleep for six months pretty much . I know that a rheumatologist is who you're supposed to C-4 that , however I had a pain doctor that finally ordered an MRI of my hips and we found the inflammation and TB . After trying everything I opted for the outpatient surgery . And now just about a year later from my first hip , after having the second one done seven months ago I am doing great . I still have issues with my back and neck but I must warn everyone to stay away from injections if you can . If you research it you will find that they do lasting damage to your tendons and bone that will never go away . Good luck to you . I found the only way to get rid of it naturally is to literally do absolutely nothing for six months and that means getting up and out of the chair even or sitting too much . Lots of ice lots of natural anti-inflammatories . I did that with a walker and after four months I said no way I'm living with this anymore . After doing everything including physical therapy I opted for the arthroscopic bursectomy with IT band windowing end cleaning out all the mess in there , call debridement . I hope you find someone there that can help you with this and good luck to everyone . Having TB in both hips is the worst nightmare . There's no way anyone should have to live like that . Take care and feel better soon .

Kind regards, Connie

• Posted

Hi Skellitor

I am from the UK I am thinking your not as the treatments and way of diagnosis are different in the UK or at least in the region that I live.I have seen an orthopaedic surgeon for a second opinion and no surgery was recommended to me for T.B. Physiotherapy and pain relief with no way of telling how much longer I will have to put up with it.

• Posted

Hi Annette, I am actually from Scotland but my physio didn't tell me about gluteal tendonopathy, I found out about it myself. Hell, she didn't even tell me about TB. I had to ask her if that's what it was. I was standing in Tk maxx today looking at walking sticks and genuinely considering whether I needed a walking aid.

I haven't managed to get anyone to refer me for an MRI or to orthopaedics or rheumatology yet. I asked for an MRI and they sent me for an xray instead which was obviously clear because my issue is with my soft tissues not my bones. We've got to really really push the doctors to actually find out what is wrong.

• Posted

Hi I've talked with you over the summer. My 15 year old had the busectomy and trochanter/tendon cleaning. She had a GREAT five months, but now it seems like the pain is quickly coming back. How is your hip after surgery and some time feeling? Her dr doesn't understand why she's in pain again. We are at a lost, they think it might be hypermobility joint problems. It's just weird it's only her left hip and exact same spot. I've read the surgery fails. Just wondering if you are still pain free, and if you have any advice. Thank you

• Posted

hi I am from Australia and only found out yesterday after having a scan that i have TB

Ive had it on and off for 18 months. Started in my achilles tendon. That pain went away then it started up in my glutes after riding my bike. That went away after rest and now 3 months ago started in my upper thigh.

I am 71 years young. Have being doing aqua aerobics for the past 12 years. Without a problem.

I got some Indocid capsules from my doctor but they make me fill unwell, nauseus, dizzy. So giving up on those and taking panadol and rubbing in Voltaren ointment. Whcih helped last night.

My doctor is putting me on a Life Plan, that is 5 weeks of physio for free.

I  just terrible, I have never been sick. Its making me feel old and feeble.

i do hope the physios can help.

I am taking onboard the advice to go and see an orthopedic surgeon.

But that will be in a few weeks, tomorrow i head north to find some sunshine on the beach. Perth has had one of its coldest winters ever.

Thanky ou all for the info

• Posted

Hi bilobiggles

I have had the same pain in my left groin for last 15 months I had an X-Ray done witch showed nothing was give pain killers but didn't touch it had me in tears all most everyday. Finally got to see the surgeon 3 months after had an MRI scan done witch took 3 months to get my results was very upset in pain it showed I had a labral tear and then said there was nothing they can do for me but have an hip injection so I had the injection but only worked for a day. I have been back to see my surgeon who has now transferred me to Preston to see if the surgeon there can do an operation on it. My letter I all so have here says there is a positive PSOAS impingement witch is also know as snapping syndrome witch we think coursed the taer to begin with. I'm at the hospital this Thursday to see what is going to happen next I will keep you up dated. It might be best if you keep at them till you get somewhere

Thanks Samantha

• Posted

Hi, I know your mail was 7 months ago but have you still got your problem?

I have had mine for over a year, had one steroid injection, did not think it did much good, don't know what else to do, am off to hospital again soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.