Trochanteric bursitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

A week ago I went to my GP because I'd had pain in my right hip for two weeks. She diagnosed trochanteric bursitis, gave me naproxen to take and told me it would get better by itself in a few weeks. Now a week down the line and it's only got worse. Initially I only had pain in my hip when laying on my affected side or upon certain movements. Now I have a constant pain which ranges from a dull ache to a sharp pain to a hot burning pain. I've now got pain down my buttock and thigh. I've tried the naproxen, cocodamol and ice packs but nothing seems to work. I've felt a bit rubbish the past couple of days, sleeping a lot, lack of appetite and mild fever. I'm on my feet for 12 hours at work and I'm really struggling. What do I do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Any chance you can have a couple of days of work to rest?? Also you need to go back to see your GP and maybe get an xray, it could be what she says or you could have sciatica, really horrid, but because its not getting any better it needs sorting, being on your feet all day want help, its OK pumping drugs down you when you know for definite what it is but you need to know
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. My GP is shut today because it's a bank holiday here but I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow. I finished up work on Friday morning and not due back till day shift tomorrow. If I'm still struggling I'll need to phone in sick. I'll definitely go back to my GP practice and maybe ask for a different GP.

• Posted

I'm surprised your GP didn't offer a steroid shot - sorts trochanteric pain syndrome (or whatever they have decided to call it now) better than anything else. I wouldn't expect naproxen to do a lot with it and really resting to avoid making the inflammation even worse is all you can do otherwise. 

Out of interest - how old are you? I ask as you mention other symptoms that could be relevant.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I'll definitely need to get back to the GP when it opens tomorrow. 

I'm 31.

• Posted

Makes it less likely that you may have something called polymyalgia rheumatica, though not impossible. But it often starts with hip pain and bursitis and feeling flu-ey as you described. But the vast majority of patients are over 50 which makes it unlikely.

Good luck - you have my sympathy: It HURTS!

• Posted

Hi I went thoug that is well, you could have pulled a  ligament or tore it. Have an MRI done . Ask to see a sport  orthopedic doctor.  Sometimes it only takes one shot of cortisone. But see a professional. Don't wait.

• Posted

Hi Kerry I currently have agonising pains in my hips they started a couple of years ago and it's only gotten worse but iv had CT scans and stuff and nothing is showing up. I've been given naproxen too and I'm the same age as you

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I would advise seeing another doctor, not until I ask for a 3TMRI did they see the damage to my labrum. It’s all torn. I have bone spurs. An hip impingement. But one doctor said he wanted to cut me open, I sought another doctors opinion, he said just a few shots of cortisone. I went for the shots & PT. But still hurting. But my opinion, your not hurting for no reason, get 2 opinion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.