Trochanteric bursitis, I had injections and it has got worse is this normal??

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I'm 23 years old and have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis and just after an x Ray the doctor see straight away that was the problem and decided to give me a steroid and anaesthetic on each side of my hips but after a few hours once I was home.  it has become extremely painful and cannot walk or do anything at all. I'm in really bad pain and would like to know if this is normal as I feel in more paid than I did before I see the doctor. Please help???? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi

so sorry to hear about the pain that you are in.

my GP told me that the injection can take 3 weeks to work.

i think that i did have a bit more pain immediately after the injection. but it went away eventually and i do remember that within a couple of days i was able to sleep the night through without being woken up by the pain that i had experienced pre-injection. so in my case it was worthwhile.

f the pain persists then i'd suggest telephoning your doctor to ask for advice. maybe paracetamol might help, until the injection starts to work?

good luck

• Posted

Hi. 

My consultant at the hospital told me that the anaesthetic and steroid injection should ease it off for today as that's when I had it. But after nearly two hours of me leaving the hospital and being at home. It has become extremely painful and I literally cannot walk at all, I just hope it isn't the same by morning I have taken inflamatries and paracetamol but hasn't helped at all, I will contact my gp and consultant anyway to see what advice they give 

thank you for the advice 

• Posted

I have also been receiving a lot of pain in my groin too. Did this occur for you too? And when you received the injection did it get worse before it got better ? As mine has become a lot worse than what it was to begin with? 
    • Posted

Hi Matthew

Let us know how things go

Mine was def. much easier for that day then the soreness started to come back but not nearly as bad as it originally was

Good luck

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Hi Matthew

Was it your GP that you talked to or the hospital...Consultant?

After my 2nd THR I fractured my greater trochanter bone doing an exercise.

They X Rayed it and at first I was told they couldnt do anything about it, it would heal by itself.

This was an emergency consultant

When I saw my own consultant he said it wouldnt heal beacuse a bit of bone had broken off and moved so far away the fracture woulndt heal...so been on 2 crutches for a year.

None of that applies to you except the trochanter bone????

The other thing he said was you've got bursitis....so putting the two words together......trochanter and bursitis I assume its much the same pain.

Anyway he gave me a cortisone injection in the top of my leg on the outside.

He did warn that he had given me anaesthetic as well so although it was great in his office that once it wore off it might be sore for a while but {in theory} should help.....It has helped...I'm not pain free but a lot less pain than I had.

If you have any worries ring the doc again and see what he says.....even if it is only to set your mind at rest

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

hi 

i spoke to a consultant at the hospital as that's where I was referred to by my gp, I have not had any accidents or fractures. Over the last year my hips have been very painful and I have been feeling a lot of discomfort. I cannot do very much now and is very concerning as I'm only young. Age 23. So I had been sent to consultant by my gp as no painkillers were helping. So I went to a consultant, had an x Ray. Found out it was  trochanteric bursitis. And the same day he gave me the two injections and said I would be feeling a lot better today but will be back in pain as I felt already. But within two hours of having those injections in the top of my leg where the trochanter bone is The pain and discomfort has become worse than before I see the consultant. It has never been as bad as this. I literally cannot walk at all now. I'm just really worried it has now become worse than it already was. I will wait till morning and ring the doc. Even tho I will probably not sleep a wink tonight anyway but I will see how it goes. But me not being able to walk now has worried me

thank you for your advice 

• Posted

They did say as the anaesthetic has worn of I will fell the pain and discomfort again, but within two hours the pain is extreme. And I cannot walk at all now due to that and it worries me. Is there anything you done to ease your pain?? As painkiller, inflamatries ect isn't working 
    • Posted

Hi Matthew

in answer to your earlier questions - no, i did not have pain in my groin afterwards and the hip didn't hurt more after the injection than it did beforehand. so i can understand your worries. i hope that you have contacted your GP by now?

• Posted

Hi there. 

Yes I did contact my GP by then. I ended up in hospital. As the injections left me with an infection in my bursa and I had a bad reaction which left me in so much pain I couldn't walk at all. Iv been given loads of pain killers and anti biotics, it has started to get less painful now and I'm able to walk but using a crutch at im still getting the pains and the trochanteicic bursitis. I have another consultation end of the month to find out more and maybe have scans taken. 

• Posted

Hi Matt, Sorry you’re in so much pain….the right doctor for you to see is a rheumatologist and the  tests you should be doing are an MRI and a scan (CAT or ordinary). An X-ray can reveal a few things but not the whole lot. Don’t be shy: nag your doctor (GP?) so that he can refer your to a proper rheumatologic assessment. It’s also important to figure out why you are having such problems at that age. Do you do a lot of heavy sports? Lift heavy weights? Do you have a leg a bit shorter that the other? Do you have body inflammation?

Regardless of the medication you’re having you have an inflammation and you would benefit from detoxing and engaging (even if only temporarily) in an anti-inflammatory diet (paleo type). No dairy, no sweets, no red meats, lots of fresh fruit and veggies (I am imagining your face!) and crudities. Google the diet. Nag your doctor. Get well soon. X.

• Posted

hi 

no I haven't had any accidents or do heavy sports or lift weights. It just came on one day and hasn't gone away and iv had it over a year now. They diagnosed me with trochanteicic bursitis and I hd steriod and aneasthetic injections which left me with an infection in my bursa and gave me a bad reaction. I ended up in hospital as that caused me so much pain I couldn't walk. I'm on loads of pain killers and anti biotics and I have another consultation at the end of the month to see what's going on as this shouldn't be happening and I think they will be booking me in for a scan as I was told that's an option for me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.