Trochanteric bursitis on both sides - what exercise is suitable?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had chronic hip bursitis for about 5 years - injections and physio have done nothing. It's on both sides, but the left is worse than the right. I manage on painkillers and ibuprofen gel, which isn't ideal. Now I've found, after a second DEXA scan, that my osteopaenia has got worse over the past 4 years and I've been advised to do some weight-bearing exercise.

I'd like to begin dancercise from a DVD I've bought and also yoga for osteoporosis. I've done yoga before so am quite au fait with it and the book I've got is excellent.

However, I'm concerned that I'm going to make the bursitis worse by dancing and yoga. I've also got problems with my shoulders, which feels like the same thing, but which I think is impingement. Again, on both sides, worse on the left.

So, exercise with bursitis - any thoughts would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.

I suffered bursitis in both hips early last year. Tried physio and when that didn't work I did steroid injections.

They helped for a few weeks maybe a month, but came back as soon as I did anything other than very light walking.

So I went to a Chinese medicine doctor (note I do live in Hong Kong) and had treatment such as electronic shock and bone setting with taking herbal medicine. After a few months I am in no pain on a daily basis, but have not found any aerobic exercise other than swimming and walking.

Yoga for me is painful, but mostly as I am not that flexible after the Perthes disease.

Not sure if anyone else has some better exercise tips, but I hope so.

Good luck finding what works best for you.

Simone

• Posted

I am not sure if this helps or not.Last year I developed pain in

my hip area . Before I could go see a rheuma about it, I had to go

see a dentist. Two teeth were bad, one they had wanted to do a root

canal on ( which I dont' believe in ) the other needed to be pulled.

We pulled two teeth and the pain in my went away.

I told the dentist about that and he said " I am not sure about that ..

but I do hear it from you guys . "

Just thought you may want to hear about that ..

Tmcleschra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.