Trochanteric (hip) bursitis non-existent, but part of fibromyalgia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently seen a rheumatologist who told me that trochanteric bursitis does not exist in its own right, but is a part of chronic pain syndrome or fibromyalgia.

As I have both, and always thought they were distinct, I was rather surprised.  Incidentally, NICE views trochanteric bursitis as a separate entity.

Has anybody else heard this view?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can't really answ er if they are separate but I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis about 5 years ago and Fibro 18 months ago. I was treated for the bursitis with physio and it improved but it seems to be back in both hips now.
    • Posted

Horrid, isn't it, that relentless ache?  I've had physio and numerous steroid injections.  The bursitis isn't as painful as it was two years ago, when it began, but it's never really gone in that time.  The rheumatologist told me that I just have to manage it as there isn't a cure, as such.  He suggested trying a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory cream. 
  • Posted

Years ago I saw a rhumy who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia having already been diagnosed with chronic fatigue. She also said I had bursitis in my right hip, this was at the same appointment.
    • Posted

Thanks, Deborah.  It's certainly interesting that the fibromyalgia and bursitis seem to go together.  I know of quite a few people who have got both.
  • Posted

That's really interesting. I was diagnosed with this type of bursitis too and have has numerous examples injections into my hip. I've never heard a doctor say that they went together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.