Trochleoplasty - best decision I've made to fix Patellar Dysplasia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with my left knee for over ten years. Firstly I tore the ligaments and in the following 4/5 years I received four operations where the surgeon had to take out bits of bone, which had broken off and jammed my knee. I then slipped on some ice where I tore my thigh muscle, which meant that the patella would come dislocated by the slightest jerk, this had to be fixed with an operation. Then just over two years ago a new major problem arose with my knee, it turned out that I had Patella Dysplasia which meant that the alignment of my leg bones were out of line. The patella would click and then move position to where it would rub against the inside of my knee which was so painful I could barely walk without a walking stick. Apparently I was born with this but noone had noticed it even with all the x-rays and MRI's and operations I had. The consultant gave me about three choices of what they could do to fix it with the Trochleoplasty being the major/biggest option. Was a bit hesitant to choose it because it wasn't a well known operation, only four surgeons in the UK do it. But it had come to the point I was crying everyday I was in so much pain that I decided that I had nothing to lose but to go ahead with the Trochleoplasty. I would advise anyone who is considering this operation to do it. I received the operation in October 2013, it is now May 2014 and I have never felt better, no pain at all (except for physio sessions) and I have a lot more energy whereas before the pain was draining the energy out of me physically and emotionally.

Also, my doctor was Mr Mark Forster, who is based in Cardiff, he works at the Spire Pentwyn hospital and Llandough hospital. He was excellent and my leg is practically like new I was very happy with his work.

ase do not hesitate to contact me on _____ I will gladly talk to you

if you are being hesitant about choosing this operation.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this discussion as it is the policy of patient.info not to publish these. If anyone would like this removed information then please contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow! I'm sorry all that happened to you! That sounds extremely frustrating and terribly painful sad Thanks so much for replying, this sounds like a lot of the problems I'm facing as well. But the alignment part really caught my eye because when I was at the doctor they said it could be because I am severely bow-legged. Are you bow-legged? And is the pain you were suffering from during the patellar dysplasia more of an aching pain than a sharp stinging pain? Because I feel like mine is more aching than anything. I will put my legs up and rest them for awhile and it will feel so good after a long day, but eventually my knees hurt really bad from putting them up and it's just a never ending cycle from putting them up and putting them down, so basically they are always uncomfortable. Also, for your patellar dysplasia, did you start to experience any back pain from it? I feel like maybe my back overcompensates for my knees and that's why it is starting to hurt? I don't know, I'm only 19 and have zero idea about any of this, just trying to get as much information as I can! 
    • Posted

Thanks, well it sounds as though you've been through a lot too. Sorry haven't answered back sooner been having problems with my internet so this is the first chance I can log on. No-one ever mentioned that my legs are bow legged but it took them nearly ten years to figure out what was wrong so I haven't got much confidence. The pain was more of an aching pain most of the time except for when the patella was actually rubbing against the inside of my knee. Mine were always uncomfortable, I'd put the knee up to rest on the bed and then after a while it would get uncomfortable and I would have to move it to another position. From looking at me then you would think that I would be in more pain but it's the most surprising positions that are more comfortable. I don't think if affected my back (my back problems are down to my brother), it was my other leg that had to compensate for the bad knee which meant that they would scan and x-ray it every often to make sure that it wasn't getting damaged but it was fine thankfully. What have your doctor/surgeon suggested about fixing the problem? If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me, I'll help you as much as I can.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Ive just returned from fracture clinic at my local hospital after my 8th knee dislocation. After intensive physio for past 4 years and various other things my Orthopaedic consultant has decided to refer me to Bristol hospital to have a trochleoplasty done. Will be awhile before i go for surgery but im worried as dont know much about the surgery.

Any information you can give me would be great. As cant find much online as its mostly american or australian.

Things id like to know are:

How long you were in hospital for.

How long on crutches.

How long off work.

And what kind of things do you have to help like were you in a brace/splint like when you dislocate it. Or do they not put anything on.

Also is it done through keyhole? 

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Amy x

• Posted

Hi Helen

My 17 year old daughter is scheduled to have a trochleoplasty along with an osteoporosis and lateral release in September. She has suffered with knee dislocations since she was 8 years old and has been diagnosed with patellar malformation along with a few other malformations of the knee and leg. I am so glad this has been successful for you and hope it is as successful for her

Sheena

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.