Trouble breathing 24/7 weird sensation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I feel like the symptoms I have are pretty unique as no one I have seen or spoke to has the same ones. I have trouble breathing NOT shortness of breath just very difficult to breathe on inhalation and feels strange when inhaling. Also a lack of the sensation of breathing and doesnt feel right. I feel like im going to stop breathing. This has been going on constantly for a couple of months now and its from when I wake up till I go to bed. Doctor says its just anxiety as my sats are 96-100, chest always clear, X ray clear, peak flow not Great but ok. Bloods are ok. I just need some answers has anyone experienced this? i just want my life back. Ive had anxiety and panic attacks since childhood but never experienced anything like this

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

yes i have been experiencing these symptoms for a few years. it feels like a lack of oxygen. My chest feels frozen in the sense that i dont feel air coming in, as if my lungs werent expanding. very weird hard to explain.

• Posted

Have you felt the exact symptoms? Its such a weird sensation and i just lack the sensation of air coming in it feels odd. Its hard to breathe and so difficult to live with. Has your doctor told you its anxiety? Sorry youre going through it too

• Edited

I've also experienced this sensation. Like if I don't concentrate, I'll just stop. And as though I cannot get enough air. Ironically I get rid of the sensation by practising controlled breathing, deeply inhale for 4 counts, hold for 8, and exhale with stomach muscles for 8. Helps me calm down. Maybe it will help you - feel better!

• Posted

Its a constant sensation though and it wont go away. Its there 24/7 Its like hell, the more I focus on my breathing the worse it gets for me. I dont know what to do

• Posted

How completely annoying. I understand! Have you been checked for asthma or allergies? Or sinus polyps? I know anxiety causes all sorts of strange and annoying symptoms - but maybe it will help you to get a clear answer about the other things that could cause this sensation so you can reassure yourself. Mindfulness and breathing exercises could potentially help you though.

• Posted

Its horrible 😦 ive been checked for asthma and on inhalers but they dont help. Ive tried nasal sprays and antihistamines for allergies but they dont work either. I was diagnosed with enlarged turbinates a few years ago but i didnt suffer eith breathing problems this severe then so im not sure. Thank you i will try that

• Posted

I know someone with enlarged turbinates and had similar issues to you. She had some sort of procedure to increase the airflow space through her nose. I am sorry you're having this extra stress - what a pain. When you also have anxiety, it's hard to tell what's related to that and what's a physical thing. I hope you get it figured out soon! Maybe deep breathing will at least give you some relaxation in the meanwhile. Good luck finding answers and relief!

• Posted

ive had enlarged turbinates for years so im not sure if thats the cause to this problem as its been very severe the past couple of the months or maybe it contributes im not sure.

Bless you, thanks for your advice

• Posted

I am going through a different anxiety driven breathing problem called Sighing Dyspnea which I just posted on this forum. However, years ago after my first panic attack I had a multitude of other symptoms one of which was similar to yours.

I felt like I had to remember to breathe. It felt like I needed to force it or I wouldn't breathe at all. It was a struggle each day. This was followed by some sort of dissociative issue where I would be talking to someone but felt like I wasn't really there with the person.

Here is where I wish I could give you some sort of cure that you could do right away. I too am looking for my own instant cure for my own issue. However, I do know that it stopped one day but I simply cant remember why or how. I do know it stopped and I moved on to other anxiety driven ailments. What I can say is that as awful as it feels every minute you haven't passed out or died. Your body is breathing and if you had blood work it would most likely show normal carbon dioxide/oxygen exchange levels.

It's truly difficult to accept that all my health issues are caused by anxiety. How and why am I doing this to myself? How can I stop? I ask myself each day. I did start Zoloft 6 weeks ago but my current issue is still around. I start therapy in 2 weeks. I do know how truly awful it might be for you as it is the same for me. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.