Trouble breathing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello...i am new here and was wondering if anyone has experianced what I am going through....I have trouble breathing...like i am suffocating and can't get enough air into my lungs.Sometimes i have to keep yawning or gag myself just to get that full satisfying deep breath.It's life consuming and i can't take it anymore....i have had this on and off for 22 yrs...Some doc say it's anxiety and some say it's all in my head...what do you think?Please help?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Amanda x

A few months ago I had an anxiety attack and for about 4 weeks after I was unable to breathe properly.. Out of breathe all the time, never got a satisfying breathe and had to keep yawning and just had to lay down because I didn't have the breathe to do anything..

One of my family members is a doctor and she told me it was more than certainly anxiety, It started off as an attack but then I got so obessesed and concentrating on my breathing it always felt like I wasn't getting enough breathe and it was like that for weeks after even after she told me that. it was all in my head but that still didn't stop it feeling real..

Really sorry you've been dealing with it for that long, it's absolutely horrible and I was unable to do anything and was dreadful, It eventually stopped, mainly because I had something else to worry about so maybe that stopped it for me..

Not really advice but I'm more than certain it's anxiety, it's hard but the more you focus on your breathing the worse it got for me. I had an anxiety attack yesterday and got the same thing but have accepted it's all in my head and it stopped after x

• Posted

Hey Amanda,

It def sounds like anxiety. When I first started having thost symptoms it was so aggravating and scary! What you should do is try breathing techniques, breath in for 8 seconds, let out for 4. Another tip is try to figure out what is stressing you out, try to figure out when you are having an anxiety attack what is the cause. It took me a while to do that. Then analyze the situation, like for me i was worrying about my job because it felt like no matter what I did my manager was going to yell at me. I would stress over it all the time. But then when I started to analyze and it realize that stressing about it isnt going to get me anywhere, that helped a little. Another thing that would stress me out was my kids, i have three and they can be a handful sometimes. I would have to sit down and remind myself they are just kids and they arent doing it ro purposely drive me crazy and just breath. Breathing techniques helps alot! I hope that was helpful!

• Posted

Hi Amanda75574, I began experiencing difficulty in breathing just as you have described. It is very discomforting and causes me to tire easily. my blood work and xray results were negative. i will be seeing a pulmonologists very soon as one hospital i visited made an unconfirmed diagnosis of interstitial lung disease. My difficulty breathing occurs when ever i am exposed to almost all allergens. I am also an asthma patient. i desparately need to find an effective treatment. ,
  • Posted

most people would say initially that it is anxiety related. Unless you have a physiological problem there. 22 years is a long time to suffer.  My mum has difficulty swallowing due to another illness .  Maybe your breathing difficulties relate to something whether anxiety or something else.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.