Trouble breathing while sitting

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is my first post. I have stage 3 emphysema. Something new is happening. While sitting, if I put my hands down by my hips and push

up to raise my shoulders I breath much easier. It is exhausting. Has

anyone else experienced this.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Raising both arms, therefore shoulders, above the head improves breathing. The old form of resuscitation uses the person's body by lifting their arms straight up above their head & bringing them back down, then up/down, etc. It's bad for my shoulders but sometimes while asleep I bring my arms up above my head in order to breathe better.

Conversely, you'll depress your breathing if you bring both arms up & out to the sides as per Jesus, etc ., on the cross.

Unless the doc or a therapist told you to do this, why exhaust yourself? Up to you.

• Posted

Sorry.....I am not understanding what exactly you mean. I am near the end of all of this suffering and cannot even raise my arms or push with them.
  • Posted

This is the reason why when you are a child they tell you to put your shoulders back.  This improves your posture and consequently your breathing. Does it help at all putting your shoulders back without the use of your arms?  There is no point in exhausting yourself unless you have to.

If you have to do this to breathe better then it might be worth a trip to your doctors to see if s/he can give you anything else to help with your breathing.  Do you check your sats regularly?  x

• Posted

I have COPD. My chest congestion is a constant challenge. Even with the nebulizer, it remains among my constant symptoms. I find resting on my back only increases my breathing difficulties. So most sofas and chairs do not fit with my unique need to lean forward most of the time. In fact, I sleep on my stomach 90+% of the time. 

Exercise is a problem too with COPD. So the raising and lowering arms is a simple, but great idea.  

• Posted

You are expanding your chest giving. Your lungs a bit more room
  • Posted

Check out some of the videos on you tube, Donna Wilson, COPD exercise, she has some great exercises for strengthening the lungs.

Certain exercises can open up the rib case, improve the diaphragm musles all helping us to breathe easier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.