Trouble falling asleep, any tips on how to make it easier?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, as the title says I have trouble falling asleep. The trouble is that I always feel a light pressure/ numbing feeling from the left side of my chest sometimes it go all the way up to the shoulder.

I know that I have a heart murmur but still waiting for a time appointment at a cardiology to determine if it's an physiological, it's an systolic heart murmur and I've gotten a resting heart rate at 90, don't know if it have changed at least that was observered in may. Because of covid-19 I don't know when I will get my appointment. A few years ago I had a resting heart rate between 70-80.

It have gotten worse in may I would only feel the pressure while sleeping on the left side only, then also on the back and now I'm also feeling it sometimes when I sleep on the right side. Worse is still left side, it will cause me to dry cough sometimes.

I'm a person that like rolling around and sleeping in different positions but now I can only sleep on one side and sleeping on my stomach is not my thing even though I won't feel the pressure.

I can sometimes feel the pressure even when I move around or sit, it have become something I'll feel every day. So some days it take hours for me to fall asleep and I'm just rolling around on the bed, trying to find a position that make the numbing feeling go away.

Do any of you have a tips on how to make it easier to fall asleep.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you get palpitations or chest pain? Do you have any breathing issues? What is your blood pressure like? Also are you male or female?

• Posted

I have no palpitations and I wouldn't classify the pressure as a chest pain, if I say after a pain scale of 0 to 10 , it would be 1 or 2. My blood pressure is 104/70, so it's normal. I'm a female and the only health issue in my family is high blood pressure, I have a normal weight for my height (BMI is 20).

I can't say I have any breathing issues but I start to breath heavy quite easy but that might be of my bad fitness. For example I start to breath heavy when I vaccum the house but it's been a while since I trained reguraly and was planing to start this summer.

I can handle the numbness feeling during the day, but it becomes a little bit hard to ignore when I'm trying to sleep, it can take hours for me to fall asleep. It often end up with me sitting up for a few hours and then trying to sleep.

• Posted

Are you or have you been on any type of hormones like the pill, hrt, ivf or have you had a baby since all of these symptoms started? The reason I asked is because when I was last on the pill I started to feel like something was pushing against my chest when I lay down. I started to develop other symptoms later even after I came off the pill like palpitations, difficulty taking a deep breath in, stabbing type chest pains, numbness and tingling, cramps in my leg and I later discovered I had multiple pulmonary emboli. Just be on the safe side and ask if you could get a d-dimer blood test. PEs feel like you have a heart problem. They are rare but are often missed so it is best to get checked just in case.

• Posted

The only hormones I take is thyroid hormones for my thyroid problems but I check it every 3 months, which I have been taking for 4 years and last time I took the pill was 2 years ago.

Not planning to get pregnant until a few years later, I know that in may my PEs did a d-dimer blood test on me and everything was within normal range. My PEs was trying to find a reason for my heart murmur and slight elevation of the resting heart rate. That's was the reason why my PEs wanted me to get into contact with a cardiology, because he couldn't find a reason for my heart murmur and wanted to be on the safe side.

I have a new time with my PEs, to check again and see if anything have changed. Specially when it have become more frequent with the numbness/ light pressure I feel. Guess I'll have to wait until friday morning and see if they can help me.

I'm literally looking forward when I can sleep normally, I'm always so tired. So when I can't get any sleep it becomes worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.