Trouble nebuliser and salt.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am continuing to have trouble  after using my neb with sodium chloride 7% 4ml. Prior to using I use my Ventolin inhaler and rinse my mouth.  Results at present are towards end right side the one affected is constricted so that postular dischRge is like meeting a brick wall. Mucus if any is frothy salt water.  On top of this is recurrent taste of salt. Sometimes things are alright but problems with neb are increasing.

I did not have any instruction how to use neb maybe I am doing things wrongly. I would really.ike some advice. At mo surgery doesn't seem to know answer.

This forum is really helpful particularly to own and control illness not other way round and enjoy good days when they happen-they can!

ann93380

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann

Sorry to hear you are having probs with your hypetonic saline.  GPs generally don't know the answers - it is really the con's domain.

I am astounded that you were not shown how to use it.  Generally a resp con would arrange an assessment with resp nurses when using 7% hypertonic.  This is to assess that the hypertonic doesn't give you bronchospasm.

If it were me hun I would defo phone con's secretary and explain the problems you are having and that all the other bronchs you know had an assessment.  There are lower strengths of hypertonic 3% and 6%.

Bronch is sometimes a right DIY malaky.  You should have seen the performance I had getting a shrynge and needle for my last dose of Tobramycin when I went away recently and forgot it!!!!

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

cx

• Posted

I was due to see con.Somehow this problem with salt taste didn't  ring a bell. I can be woken up by a strong taste of salt or I have a taste when bringing up mucus. No one can give an explanation. I assume there is salt deposit lining the right tube. My con has suggested changing saline for salbutamol solution. I had some constrict with Seretide 250. He suggested changing to flutiform. First try this pm disaster - constriction ++. Asked GP today abt prob with strong taste of salt. He sad no idea what was causing it and asked did I think it was saline neb. there is salt lodging somewhere which can't be a good thing. Will start sal neb tomorrow and see how I get on and prob go back to seretide.

t

Thznks for helping specially re assessment.  

Ann

• Posted

Hi Ann ..have you google how to use the neb? and most likely there is a utube vid on it..could be worth looking? Cheers..xx
    • Posted

Nanooskar-thanks. I started using neb just under year ago and-yes-went on Google. Reading other people's accounts seems there are various techniques which are helpful like drinking water during using neb,glass of water afterwards,waiting 15 mins between neb and discharge etc-the finer points! I think I'be read everything or almost and gone back agaiin often at abt 2am!  Other people' experiences are better. Thans again.xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.