Trouble sleeping after eating sugary foods

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am 50 years old and used (till 2 months ago) to eat lots of confectionary and often woke at 2am and couldnt sleep till get-up time at 5:30am to get up for work.

This improved when i cut down on sweet foods, and i can sleep more now.

(i do not take any 'official' diabetes treatments)

Strangely, i have found that if i eat a raw spring onion before going to bed, then it helps me to sleep better.

Also, if i do wake at 2am, and cant get back to sleep, then i now get up and eat half a raw spring onion, and it helps ne get back to sleep.

Why is this?

Are there any other foods which help sleeping?

(i eat the raw spring onion with a little bit of chees so as to help me "get it down".)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It could even be the cheese - milk products can help you sleep.

There can be many reasons for sleep problems.

You might try some melatonin. You might try some dark chocolate (yes even with a little caffeine in it).

You might try some exercise.

• Posted

Interesting. Dairy products are known to help sleep. Is it possible its the cheese and not the onion thats helping you sleep better?

Or is it possible a stomach ache is keeping you awake? I notice a stomach ache keeps me awake, even when so mild as to not be bothersome.

Exercise is wonderful for sleep. Bath with epsoms salts can help.

If you read up on melatonin, you'll find it really isn't a good idea. Melatonin supplements can interfere with your body's natural functions, resulting in horrible side effects.

• Posted

Hi

I must say that I actually find that eating chocolate makes me very sleepy and I have to fight to keep my eyes open after about an hour or so. I love spring onions but I feel sorry for your partner, if you have one, I also find a milky coffee ( decaf of course) an hour before going to bed is relaxing. I have always been told cheese late at night is not good for sleeping although I love it and it makes no difference to me going to sleep.

Sweet dreams

from Sue

• Posted

It's interesting that researchers have discovered that the brain needs certain minerals to go to sleep, especially magnesium. You might try taking a multiple mineral with dinner, that way the minerals will be available when you go to sleep. I do take a melatonin every night at bedtime. I have found that Trader Joes chewable melatonin works best for me. It does have a bit of sweetner in it. Melatonin can make it harder to wake up. If I need to get up early I only take 1/2 tablet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.