Trouble Sleeping Post TKR???

Posted , 25 users are following.

First, this is definitely not uncommon...especially in the first 30-60 days which are the absolute worst.  Try some of this...

- OTC Melatonin or Diphenhydramine (cheap, generic Benadryl) an hour before bed.  Make sure you're not allergic first.  The former is available in strengths from 3-10mg.  Start low and increase if necessary.  The latter is the same ingredient in all "PM"-style products.  Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that makes you drowsy.  Adult dosage is 25-50mg.

- Also an hour before bed, turn off ALL electronics (computer, TV, cell phone, etc.).  Prepare your body for sleep.

- If applicable, take your nighttime meds. 

?

- Prepare the room to be completely dark.  Drapes or blindfold.

- Go to the bathroom and empty your bladder.  This lessens your chance of having to go in the middle of the night.

- Apply some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Best topical anti-inflammatory out there.

- If you are having a problem with incision site sensitivity rubbing against your sheets, wrap the knee loosely with an ACE bandage or slip on a knee sleeve. 

- Read a book for a half hour then lights out.  Great way to let go of the day and become drowsy.

- I enjoy listening to some Native American flute music.  Very calming.

- Get a diffuser and some lavender oil.  Mmmmmmm.....

- Against my doc's recommendation, I elevated and iced for the first month or so.  Your call on this one.

If none of this works, call Warner Brothers and have them send over Wiley Coyote with the giant mallet he tries to use on The Roadrunner...or the 16-ton weight he drops off the cliff, through your roof and onto your head.  Those will definitely work!!!

27 likes, 38 replies

Report / Delete

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Love these posts. I'm just 9 days out and heel slides are definitely not my friend. Hurt so bad at pt that it brought tears to my eyes. I've been sleeping ok, actually pretty good. I tape Antique Roadshow and it puts me to sleep every time. My husband puts on the ice machine and I sleep for 3-4 hours and wake my husband up so he can walk me to the bathroom. He is afraid I'll fall so I let him do it. He gets me back in bed and puts on more ice and I sleep for another 4. I take pain med every 4 hours, Tramadol. I am not a pill taker, even in the 60's but I've read enough of your posts to stick with it. At 70 I'm not into being a superhero. No one to impress at this point.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just turned 69 yesterday.  So true...  Good to have that support at home...some people don't get that.  Lucky that I had a walker to get to the bathroom and back early on...graduated to a cane and then nothing pretty quickly.

Remember...the first 30 days are the absolute worst...sheer hell for most of us.  TAKE THE MEDS!!!  You cannot get addicted to opioids in 30 days and you'll be off them by 60.  Just don't worry about them.  If the lesser meds work then fine; else ask for the better ones.  You don't have to live in that kind of pain.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah the 60's. Robin Williams said if you can remember the 60's you weren't there. I was at a party in Pacific Grove with Janis Joplin after the Monterey Pop Festival. Now that lady was typical 60's.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Saw The Supremes at my college...third row...warm-up group was something called Gladys Knight and the Pips.  Too many concerts to remember...and I'm a musician...  Yes, there are things that are either gone or fuzzy, then there are things I remember that I could NEVER tell my kids...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I took Tramadol every four hours and that helped me sleep.  As my pain lessened I gradually cut back to 2 a day; 50 mg each.  I decided to stop taking it as I was not having a lot of pain and started taking ibuprofen.  My advice is taper off the Tramadol very slowly.  I thought stopping it when I was only taking 2 a day would be ok.  I went thru withdrawal with lots of anxiety, fatigue and sleeplessness.  I should have gone down to just one a day and one every other day, etc.  I have been off now for almost two weeks and still feel like I am going thru some withdrawal.  Talked to my family doctor about it and she said it can take at least two weeks to get it out of your system depending on the dose you were taking.  Glad you are doing well at 9 days.  I am now almost 7 weeks out and starting to feel "normal" again.  Lots more mobility and getting some energy back. Still not able to sleep unless I take an Advil PM. I do PT 3 times a week and do it at home on off days.  It's a lot of work but at my 6 week post op checkup my ortho dr was very pleased with my progress.  Good luck with your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you! i was thinking “oh no” when they send me home with all the pain pills. Been afraid to take too much, tolerating the pain and try to stick to 1-2 a day.  I  may up it to 3. The pain is what stresses me out. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Noooo.....  The meds are absolutely vital for the first 30-60 days...  Then you start titrating off of them to something like Tramadol and then to just OTC meds.  It's the way this all happens.  At the beginning, those meds are your best friend.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you Chico I will get some sleeping aid & also Voltatel I am desperate to get some relief. I always leave my op leg outside the bed clothes. I don't go out much potter@ house & garden so sure I'm not over doing it. I just need to get some sleep . Thanks for your help .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good one!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you, Chico. I'm off to the store!

The Wiley Coyote idea is a great back-up!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up