Trouble Sleeping Post TKR???

Posted , 26 users are following.

First, this is definitely not uncommon...especially in the first 30-60 days which are the absolute worst.  Try some of this...

- OTC Melatonin or Diphenhydramine (cheap, generic Benadryl) an hour before bed.  Make sure you're not allergic first.  The former is available in strengths from 3-10mg.  Start low and increase if necessary.  The latter is the same ingredient in all "PM"-style products.  Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that makes you drowsy.  Adult dosage is 25-50mg.

- Also an hour before bed, turn off ALL electronics (computer, TV, cell phone, etc.).  Prepare your body for sleep.

- If applicable, take your nighttime meds. 

?

- Prepare the room to be completely dark.  Drapes or blindfold.

- Go to the bathroom and empty your bladder.  This lessens your chance of having to go in the middle of the night.

- Apply some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Best topical anti-inflammatory out there.

- If you are having a problem with incision site sensitivity rubbing against your sheets, wrap the knee loosely with an ACE bandage or slip on a knee sleeve. 

- Read a book for a half hour then lights out.  Great way to let go of the day and become drowsy.

- I enjoy listening to some Native American flute music.  Very calming.

- Get a diffuser and some lavender oil.  Mmmmmmm.....

- Against my doc's recommendation, I elevated and iced for the first month or so.  Your call on this one.

If none of this works, call Warner Brothers and have them send over Wiley Coyote with the giant mallet he tries to use on The Roadrunner...or the 16-ton weight he drops off the cliff, through your roof and onto your head.  Those will definitely work!!!

28 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you Chico I will get some sleeping aid & also Voltatel I am desperate to get some relief. I always leave my op leg outside the bed clothes. I don't go out much potter@ house & garden so sure I'm not over doing it. I just need to get some sleep . Thanks for your help .

• Posted

If the bedclothes are rubbing on the incision causing irritation, try wrapping the knee loosely in an ACE bandage or try a knee sleeve...a size larger than you would normally use so it's a bit loose and not compressing the knee.

• Posted

Thank you, Chico. I'm off to the store!

The Wiley Coyote idea is a great back-up!

• Posted

Thank you so much, Chico.Had been using Votarol gel preop but will now go back on it also stop trying too hard to cut down on the stronger painkillers. Reassurance from every one on the discussion helped so much after a bad night as thought I was losing the plot!!
  • Posted

Thanks Chico I have tried some and will now try the others and sure if you hear of a woman in Ireland dying by mallet, you'll know Whitley was forced to come 😝

• Posted

I greatly appreciated reading your posts when I had my first TKR in December. It's hard to believe I'm doing it all again next month. I go back and forth and worry I could be a runaway patient. This time it's my right knee. Was your experience the second time pretty much the same as the first?

I plan on reading many of your posts again!

• Posted

Haven't done the second one yet.  I had a severe case of spinal stenosis at L2/L3 8 months after the knee and needed a spinal fusion this past March.  I would like some time off before I venture down that road again.  I'll be 70 in February...maybe next summer...  I'd like the memory of #1 to fade just a tad more...

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.  My husband and I laughed about the mallet.  Wish I could use antihistamines.  Went to first PT during Hurricane Ophelia.  Had a hard time getting 3 ft. and more long legs into car.  

• Posted

Thanks Chico....for the advice as well as the chuckles !! I already called my doctor to ask about the benadryl...waiting for his reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.