trouble sleeping & waking up exhausted

Posted , 4 users are following.

so about a week ago , i've started having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep , i usually fall asleep around 7 am since my bf works till 5am and i can't sleep without him& i would take naps too i was sleeping between 4-6 hours and was fine with it but lately i've been only getting about 1-2 hours of light sleep , i dream well i think i do but i can still hear the fan and still feel awake , i have anxiety and feel like i'm gonna go crazy or worse so i look at the clock and get so mad when i can't sleep i even cry because i'm starting to get miserable sad i'm trying to let go but it's not easy , i don't want to take meds i want to get my brain to fall back into deep sleep and stay there , is there any success stories or hope that i'll be okay ? i'm so tired during the day and when trying to fall asleep my eyes burn and i just hate it so much , but i took a nap tonight for about an hour or less and it was light but a few hours later i felt a little energized , maybe that's a good sign ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

​I was wondering if you are afraid of being alone in the house at night. I xperienced this but came to terms with it.

​I took security measures, burglar alarm, panic button behind the bed but within easy reach!

That helped a lot.

Just wondering if those simple measures would help.

Sleep hyjiene is good as is drinking hot milk as it contains a sleep inducing enzyme.

Good luck .

s

• Posted

maybe i'm sure that's it , i took a lorazepam tonight and still awake lol everyrime i close my eyes thoughts just go crazy rolleyes this freaking sucks

• Posted

Hi again Have you researched the side effects of lorazpam/ativan? Insomnia is one of many nasty side effects.xx
  • Posted

You may need to discontinue the ativan, how much do you take?
    • Posted

just 1mg this morning  i'm not taking it again 

• Posted

Don't know what happened to my earlier reply (perhaps moderated out?) but I'll reiterate here.  My first thought when I read your post was why do you have to stay up until 7AM?  You said your boyfriend works nights and I know firsthand that shift work can be hard on relationships.  But I would not get into trying to stay up all night and waiting until he gets home to get some sleep.  If you read most of these threads, you will find 3 causes that account for the overwhelming majority of the insomnia cases in this forum:

1.  Sleep Apnea

?2. Anxiety/Depression

?3. Shift work disorders

?It sounds like you already struggle a little bit with anxiety and I would advise going to work with a therapist on that front rather than taking pills.  However, the most important thing I'd suggest here is not to compound the anxiety driven sleep problems by trying to stay up during the night and get sleep in the daytime.  We are not nocturnal creatures.  Humans are evolved to be up and active during the daylight hours and asleep when it is dark.  Getting away from that setting is rarely a good idea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.