Trouble staying asleep?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been stuck at home ever since we are told to mostly stay home to protect and save others from covid-19, I find it difficult to sleep now. I used to tire my body out with exercise and work and that would pretty much keep me tired throughout the entire night. Now since I'm not working but only exercising, it's not enough to keep me from staying asleep. I wake up two hours later and can't go back to sleep. This is very stressful. Is anyone going through the same as me? I'm afraid I might end up with insomnia but my body is not even that tired for my body to sleep well. I need help. I don't know what I can do about this problem. I haven't really slept except for 2 hours and my anxiety is making it more tougher to sleep now.. I'm having chest pain, trouble breathing and back pain.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

This is common with anxiety, I'm going through it myself. It sucks, I know. My advice to you is to talk to people that are relaxing, go on extra walks, get out to nature, meditate, avoid stressful people and stop watching news....Do it naturally, as side effects from prescribed drugs are devastating.

• Posted

It's definitely very hard to sleep well with anxiety that randomly starts to make your life very challenging and stressful.. But I'm sorry that you're going through this too. I do really appreciate on helpful suggestions and ideas I can try out and see how it goes for me. I do hope you feel better soon too!

• Edited

You are not alone in this, this is so me right now.

For the past 4-5 I've been sleeping absolutely terrible. The first 2 weeks I had 5-6 nights where I had no sleep at all.

Then I started using a little of melatonin and Valerian and now can at least get a few hours of sleep every night, although the quality isn't great. Quite I wake up breathing quite fast and deep.

My real trouble is also staying alseep. For example if I fall asleep at 11pm, I would wake up at 1am. Then I would spend the next 2 hours tossing/turning, before I get another 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep.

I've had a respiratory infection for the last 6 weeks now and sleeping poorly isn't helping.

As you can imagine my anxiety level is through the roof right now!

• Edited

Even though I've been going through this on and off for years, I feel for you guys. I cant stress enough how important it is to take care of yourselves.

A good B complex in it's natural state is so important. Especially these 3 which are very good for mental and brain health.

B12 methylcobalamin

B6(P5P) Pyridoxal-5-phoshate

B9 methylfolate

Inositol with choline is another one that helps mood. Inositol is also a B, choline goes hand and hand.

Also Omega 3, with DHA and EPA.

These supplements help the brain function much better.

I also use organic Cinnamon, super antioxidant for brain.

I also look for organic herb remedies that help with sleep.

I dont know any of you, but I feel so much empathy for you. I hope my advice helps you.

• Posted

I'm terribly sorry that you're experiencing this too. This has been going on for a few days and it's making me feel more stressed since I can't get any good sleep in for the night, without waking up an hour or two later.. My anxiety starts to kick in and prevents me from sleeping normally since I would experience the symptoms that makes me feel like I'm dying. I do hope you feel better as this is something very tough to deal with. I usually take a nap in the afternoon if I haven't slept well last night. But I truly hope by tonight I can get a good night sleep.

• Posted

If it makes you feel better my situation is worse than yours 😦. I haven't been sleeping properly for a bit over a month now. My body is trying to fight off an infection and not sleeping is not helping. Currently I am very fatigued and have about 10% of the energy I used to have.

Try to break the cycle. Not sleeping causes anxiety, and anxiety itself makes it difficult or impossible to sleep.

The best I can get these days in the afternoon is a 20-minute shut-eye. As soon as I try to sleep I focus on my breathing and feel like I can't find a comfortable breathing rythm. Just as I'm about to fall asleep the fight or flight response kicks me and makes me wake up again.

• Posted

I have the same problem as you .Just when I'm about to dose off to sleep I gasp for air,that's called hypnic jerk.(flight or fight) its clearly anxiety and panic attack. its an awful feeling. now I'm on meds cause I couldn't handle it anymore. hope you feel better. anxiety sucks

• Edited

I would try a bit of Valerian. It's an over the counter supplement and not addictive like the Benzos, though you still shouldn't use it for too long.

I noticed that the hypnic jerks stopped or at least reduced after a few days of taking valerian. Though it would have just stopped by itself.

Valerian has somewhat of a calming effect which helps you sleep. I've been using it for about 3 weeks so it's actually time I try to take myself off it.

• Posted

thank you and take care stay well!!!!!

• Posted

That fight or flight mode is really irritating even though everything is normal (chest/oxygen/pulse/fever/bp etc...), people beside me think i am crazy. Breathing rhythm seem off too sometime not breathing at all. Sometime breathing difficulties.

• Posted

I can't imagine what you're going through but I truly hope you can get a very proper sleep in. It has only been a few days for me and I can't really stand it. I have got this tested before last year by my doctor who told me I don't have insomnia since that was something I was fearing mostly since I was getting weird sleeping patterns, also experiencing sleep paralysis. But when I went to see him, he told me my body is not even tired for me to sleep for 7-8 hours. And my blood test results were normal. Maybe it's the same situation here since I'm not really doing much at home but exercising in the afternoon. I can't go to work since the virus. But he does say it's mostly anxiety and that I should see a therapist for help. Anxiety is so terrifying.. It's so hard to deal with it alone.

• Posted

Hi! I am having this too a lot lately since my already bad anxiety has been in take over mode since this Virus stuff. either not sleeping or waking up 5-6 times in the middle of the night

• Edited

Hi! I am having this too a lot lately since my already bad anxiety has been in take over mode since this Virus stuff. either not sleeping or waking up 5-6 times in the middle of the night

• Posted

Sorry that you're going through this too.. I wake up two hours later and than go back to sleep once again, but slept for 4 hours. I constantly think about the virus a lot and worry if my family is safe. I know I'm mostly healthy, I still worry because of the symptoms of it. People who had it were healthy too and they felt like they were getting weaker. It's honestly terrifying. I hope it gets better for us soon. And stay safe. If you're mostly indoors and just following the rules when you have to go outside to stock up on important items you need, than you should have nothing to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.