Trouble Swallowing with Sjogrens and Scleroderma

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm newly diagnosed, I've had symptoms and blood patterns for a little over a year and only recently diagnosed with both Sjogrens and Scleroderma. I hadn't in the past noticed problems with swallowing but have noticed a dry cough on and off for a few months, recently becoming worse and with wheezing. The trouble swallowing I noticed happened about a month and a half ago. I noticed it first with my pills then now with food and having trouble swallowing like juices and such. Any tips for what I could do? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about you two diagnosis - that's a double whammy although not uncommon for those with Scleroderma to also have Sjögren's.  Are you taking anything proper for reflux Tiffany? If not you should be as reflux could be worsening your swallowing issues. I have bloods that point to Scleroderma but so far only have Sjögren's - a very neurological type so lots of neuropathy and autonomic dysfunction. I do have swallowing issues too and have has to give up on fruits such as apples. But I'm on max dose of Ranitidine and Lansoperazole as and when required - and this has helped somewhat - although dryness in throat and larynx still get to me often.  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply dear, I'm on protonix for reflux currently, I had been on prolocec (so?) twice a day till two weeks ago as I was starting to have chest pain again which they said was reflux related. I try drinking water as much as possible but I stay dehydrated and my mouth and throat are constantly dry as well. It almost feels as if my throat is tight like smaller for some reason which I know that is not the case. Thanks again for your reply. All my best wishes to you. 

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,  I too have S.S and very dry mouth. I have two things that help in-between eating and drinking,

1.An artificial mouth spray :SALIVZE  50ml and 2.  BIOTENE  gel; for relief of a dry mouth. there are many others and can be  prescribed by your Doctor. I hope  this helps you xx

• Posted

Thank you! I'll be trying these to see if they help out. I've been battling dry mouth and throats for too long now. 

• Posted

I too have a very dry throat and mouth. My dentist suggested Xylimelts at night. They are a small disc that adheres to your back teeth/gum area and very gradually dissolve during the night. Last about 5 hours while you sleep. They are wonderful. There's no chance of chocking as they adhere firmly. You can also use them during the day and don't interfere with talking etc.

I don't have a problem so far with swallowing but my mouth and throat is getting drier and drier so I imagine it will be a problem someday. A terrible disease 😥

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add this to my list of things to look at next time I'm able to get out to the store. Fantastic suggestions. Thanks again. And thank you all. 

• Posted

My doctor gave me script pilocarpine for dry mouth. It will make you sweat and produce saliva but for me benefit is worth it. I used to live with hoarseness and a dry cough, now I am managing. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.