Trouble thinking clearly, putting thoughts into action

Posted , 8 users are following.

Son is 11 weeks LTHR postop & tells me that since the surgery, he often has trouble thinking clearly. Whether this is because the brain is healing in addition to the body - even the surgeon was no help with this.

This is an aside, but surgeons are the mechanics of medicine & orthopedic surgeons the jocks ( this from a nurse friend). THEY have not had total hip replacement themselves & only know how to take apart & put together. So their answers about recovery are textbook & general.

Back to the main point -

1) Have you experienced this mental fog/cloudiness?

2) If yes, how did you combat it?

When I'm with him (right now I'm in Hawaii & he's in the MidWest) son will state points of concern, I'll write them on a whiteboard, we'll discuss, cross out or add to. I'm not always clear myself, whether from a sleep deficit or aging.

Mahalo for your insights on this.

Aloha, Soos

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As I said to you earlier - in case anyone wasn't following - yes.

Both myself, and my wife - ever since we were told that the initial operation had not gone as it should have.  Bring told that was like a hammer blow, as bad as any concussion from a road accident or similar.

Right now, my memory has gone - I was 'the' expert at work in certain areas of work, now I can't remember the first thing about them.  Work concentration is poor, and fatige really sets in by the end of the week..

I know this is a roller coaster ride, both emotionally and physically.  I just hope I get my 'marbles' back soon!

Graham

• Posted

Aloha Graham - I appreciate your honesty. I can't imagine your crushing disappointment. But thank you for relating the real effects of THR to work.

Like you, son is frustrated by the cognitive difficulties.

For both of you, and any other hippies, I sincerely wish you get your "marbles" - memory, knowledge, thought processes - back soon.

Yours & everyone here in this forum - your contributions have all been invaluable.

Mahalo, Soos

• Posted

That is the real benefit of this forum, the selfless sharing of experiences and ideas to overcome difficulties.

I think it was Bini who said about mind puzzles - I have used the newspaper sudoku and crosswords on the train in to work for ages now, and I am sure they help to wake the brain up during my 5am commute.

Graham

• Posted

I played sudoku on my phone on all those nights that I could not sleep after the operation. Helped me survive along with this forum.
    • Posted

Thanks Graham and yes you can access brain training games online - obviously I'm not allowed to list any sites but if you google the term lots come up xxx
    • Posted

Bini, Linda, 

Things like that help distract you from pain, and the problems of sleeping on your back.  I had several very hard jigsaw puzzles for daytime entertainment, but mainly used the ipod with soothing music at night but the same principle of distracting conscious thought applies.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Soos yes, I am 4 weeks post op and I have this too. I think it's probably a big combination of everything. Trauma to the body, medication, lack of restorative sleep, mood shifts, etc. I think time is the best healer but when you're through the other side of this, it's so easy to want to go and do and just be, pain free! Think about it, we're all trying to make up for lost time.... Living in so much pain every day prior to the surgery! Who has patience when you've been handed a new lease on life. Best wishes to your son's speedy recovery!
    • Posted

Aloha Cindy - thank you for your thoughts. You're right, he's frustrated by so many decisions to make & body, mind & energy level not cooperating.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Hi Linda - when I have the time, I plan to write a recap of all the suggestions here.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Thank you Soos - this will help many of us. Please share it directly with Graham as well.

L

• Posted

RECAP OF INFORMATION COLLECTED ON TROUBLE THINKING CLEARLY, PUTTING THOUGHTS INTO ACTION

(Sorry Linda, apparently I'm not allowed to reply to myself)

Aloha All

I wanted to thank those of you who contributed to this discussion. It was so very valuable to me, and I hope to implement some of the ideas to help my son.

1) I spoke to son on the phone a couple days ago & we used the (virtual) whiteboard technique to discuss items I'm helping him with, and those he needs to follow through with. We discuss each item & decide on a plan of action, dismiss or set aside for later

2) Too much caffeine is not a good aid to alertness or memory - too many side effects. And too much sedation adds to mind-fog

3) Lyn1951 thinks surgery, narcotics & the fact that the implant is a foreign object all affect the body & recovery. Overdoing things too early (from impatience) adds to exhaustion & memory loss & fog

4) Bini asked if son had general anesthesia. Yes, it took him almost 5 hours to recover consciousness to get ready for transport. Further research indicates it may take months to recover from the effects of general anesthesia, & even those who receive a spinal often also receive amounts of anesthesia close to the level of general anesthesia.

Bini's suggestions to counter the unfortunate continuing effects of general anesthesia are brain training (available online) & alternative medicine - ginseng.

We are ordering ginseng, available through online vitamin/supplement sites & Amazon

5) Lynn66084 has experienced memory problems & anemia may have something to do with this.

We will start an iron supplement.

6) Rocketman SG6UK says the news of his unsuccessful operation had the effect of a physical blow. After he returned to work, Graham has honestly shared that he has difficulty remembering work-related information, concentration is affected, & his commute adds to his exhaustion. Sudoku & crossword puzzles both help him sharpen the brain

7) Linda38528 adds that sudoku helped her sleeplessness

8) Cindy00429 also mentioned impatience

9) jaimie0456 says as she healed, her energy increased, & her mental clarity improved with her energy. And managing your activity can mitigate pain & exhaustion

We will try ginseng, an iron supplement, and a jigsaw puzzle. We would like to try brain training but unless it comes in the form of a PlayStation game... And unfortunately sudoku & crosswords cause extreme eyerolling.

Mahalo once more for all of your suggestions. I truly appreciate them all.

Love & Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Soos,

Great collection - one other thing I should add is that it has also put my relationship with my wife under strain when I forget things, or reply to her with impatience - anyone else experienced this?

We get over it each time, but it does not aid the recovery at all.

We have planned some breaks to 're-bond' and have time to ourselves now we are in a better place with a new surgeon.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi again smart as ( one word) and brain challenge are two PS games , am sure there is more xxx
    • Posted

OMG.  I've got this one! I am the queen of projecting my fear and anxiety onto my family! I could've won an Oscar for the stunt that I pulled in my kitchen when nobody got up with me early in the morning to help me eat or get coffee! I scared the devil out of everyone here and quite possibly, my head my have done a 360! Lol Now, everyone is on guard around me! I feel terrible for having done this; it is not like me AT ALL! This forced vulnerability and roller coaster of emotions was NOT something that I was prepared for! And while I am on the subject, I have issues with the medical profession for NOT adequately preparing all involved for the sh-- storm that often follows a surgery like this! As a medical professional myself, I see this as being borderline unethical. There are so many "hidden" components to recovery that are simply not addressed. Why bother sending us to a mandatory pre op class to discuss catheterization and transfusions, while our mental health can seriously be put at risk? I see a real need for post op counseling and support which happens to be non existent here in the US, as far as I know. That is why this forum has been a "lifeline" for me! Thank you everyone. Don't know if this helps Graham, but you are not alone on this one. I feel for you. And I appreciate your willingness to bring an important subject like this to the forefront! Upward and onward! Cindy
    • Posted

I agree Cindy, it is not helpful for the medical profession to ignore the mental wellbeing of patients in their recovery period.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Thank you for bringing that up, Graham. When son is very short with & dismissive of me, I just have to roll with the punches.

Both wife & you deserve a holiday or three after all this. Husband & I have the goal of a short getaway to another island - something to look forward to.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Kakuro is a step up from sudoku - worth a look.

Music - to keep sanity but also acuity, even better if you can play it yourself.

Hugs - esp from Renée! 😂

• Posted

OMG Linda - Majuro would fry my brain - insane. My entire family is math-challenged!

Soos

• Posted

Lol, I'm with you there Soos - not a great numbers person - can do medium level soduko but nothing harder !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.