Trouble walking after bunion removal ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am now 16 weeks post surgery and returned to work as a TA in an infant school. I'm ok pottering around but I'm finding walking still very difficult ! It's like I've forgotten       

HOW to walk and even my knees hurt now when they rarely did before . I am really concerned that my legs will never work properly again and I'm due to have second bunion done later this year . 

Has anyone else found walking an issue and does it get better . I'm only 61 so not ready for a zimmer just yet ! 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I do find walking difficult amd I wont do my other foot, my toes are not flexing upward, they are stiff, I am sorry you are having a hard time, I am 10 months post op and still having a hard time, I can relate.
    • Posted

Oh no ! I am sorry you're finding it hard too . My big toe is reasonably flexible but my feet generally just throb if I just do supermarket shop etc . It's also the actual motion of walking that's troubling me . It's like I've forgotten how to walk and I seem to have to think about each step if that makes sense ?

do you think you're gradually improving cause I sometimes think I'm expecting too much . 

• Posted

It does improve alot, physical therapy and the gym will help, bike is good to strengthen legs, being that your big toe us flexible you are in good shape, remember it takes a year for full recovery, I think you are going to be fine, just exercise your legs
  • Posted

Hi I am nearly 13 weeks post op bunion, hammer toe and mallet toe reduction. I had it done in a private hospital on NHS. I opted for the surgery as my mother had same condition and she ended up a crippled at about age 80 as "they" amputated her hammer toe! She never went back to do the other foot! I had surgery before it got bad. I have put on 8lbs in weight, I'm constipated and have piles! Don't laugh!!! Before I was an extremely active power walker. My car has 12k mikes on clock done in 6 years. I walked everywhere. Now I can barely walk. I tried to ignore the pain and carried on walking 5 km and 9.5 km up hill over rugged ground. Yes I overdid it. Basically I have a secondary condition which is an arthritic swollen high instep which has been made worse by surgery. Before I ste

opped walking after about 4/5 miles when pain bad. Now instep hurts permanently. This mallet toe swells immediately. Consultant told me off and is going to give me an injection in the foot and bespoke orthotics on NHS. Hen told me to take up swimming instead. Walking is my life. I regret the operation

• Posted

Oh it's hard isn't it x I also put on 10 lbs which I'm so annoyed about and I'm sure that's not helping my knees and feet . Maybe we should pay for physio as the NHS wait is 4 months . I had my op in private hospital on NHS too and can't fault any of that just lack of information and likely expectations you should have at this later phase . Thought it was just me !!
  • Posted

I was a very young and agile 68 year old. I have aged 10 years. Must "pick myself up and start all over again". Started back at the gym at 7 weeks. I know I did too much but I was so elated to have the k wire out! So after an enforced second recuperation period I am taking  the car (unheard of!) to the gym tomorrow to go on the bike and do Pilates/yoga floor exercises. So will go every other day. Found I can't stand in a bowls match for 3/4 hours and bend as it uses that foot. So I will have to find a different position that is kinder on my knees and feet. So trying to turn all my negatives into positives

i find I walk with a limp 

trying hard not to. That's because I'm barely walking

things WILL get better

keep in touch

• Posted

Hello Brenda and Oxejess Oh my! Thank heavens for this website! I am 7 weeks post bunion/2nd toe straighten-k wire and I am still using crutches out doors and during the night, early morning!! I have my k wire out next week 13th May what a long haul and I have put 5 lbs on gutted -lovely to hear how you are recovering Brenda x

• Posted

Hi Brenda . I just want to say that I wished I had been told how hard it is to get back walking properly even at 16-17 weeks post op as I would have got an exercise bike or rowing machine . I am sadly not someone who exercises that much normally but have a job where I'm on my feet all day and walk to and from work . This is the problem now .... Walking is so hard ! My suggestion to anyone is to find some way if exercising your legs while your laid up as the muscles seem to give up ! It's the worst part for me personally and no one had said this would happen . Do as much as you can Brenda x
    • Posted

I walk with a limp too but I can't even decide which keg is now causing it ! My knee hurts in the good leg so I'm not sure if it's that or habit from bunion foot ! It's good in an odd way to know it's just not me having these issues cause I've been positive all the way through this and disappointed to be where I am right now .
    • Posted

Hi Oxejess have read your posts and I feel exactly the same. I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow bunion/hammer toe ( wire coming out 13h May). I have to drive 40 minutes to work each way and I am on my feet al day. My knees  and ankle have been givingme pain which means I have needed my crutches more!!! No matter waht I can't bend my knee forward when standing on the op-leg. Rigid! I am due back at work monday 16th and am dreading ringing my boss tomorrow to tel her. I had anticipated 6 weeks post op back at work how wrong!
    • Posted

I work in an infant school and therefore on my feet and rushing around all day without much chance if sitting down for long . I had phased return to work after 12 weeks home and gave just stated full days . I was in real agony after my first full day and barely walked home . Im 61 but looked like 81 the way i was hobbling ! Does walking and general movement just slowly return and how long does this take ? I know we re all different , but like you , if your job means standing most of the day it's so difficult . I'm also aware I'm moaning about my legs all the time and a bit ashamed as its only a bunion op and nothing life threatening but unless you've had this done the frustration is awful isn't it x
    • Posted

I'm a nurse and like you, 'sitting down'? isn't realistic. luckilly I don't work on a ward and am currently based in a day clinic either based in procedure rooms- total standing assisting with prodecures or Im based in recovery standing  observing sad . After a long day (0730-1800+) at work I am scared at how swollen my foot will be, will I be able to drive home? or hobble between 2-3 bus stops! Im 50 but to be honest I was no zola budd before this. I feel I can only moan on this website and to my husband and its an elective operation I can't command sympathy-my olleagues are probably hacked off that I have exceeded the 6 week period off work too. I am apprciative of this site for enablng me to submerge myself into full on -foot, knee, leg and hip BORE!!!! Reading your post has made me smile we have to laugh! I feel once my pin is out only thn can I safely move my toes so no way will I be back at work next monday. for all the moaning I have done to my kids and hubby shouting watch my foot umpteen times- only I have dropped things on it! Ive dropped my crutches on my foot, at one point a sink fell off our lavatory wall while I was having a pee! and on friday I dropped a potoato where my bunion had been!!!!
    • Posted

I am exactly the same. However today I did 15 mins on bike in gym and arm and floor exercises and I'm buzzing. Just abut to pot some flowers now. Me thinks I might suffer later. Gosh my moods are so pre menstrual. Haha
    • Posted

You have made me giggle out loud because you sound so like me ! My poor husband was so sympathetic for longer than I deserved but he s refusing to wear his nursey outfit any longer .... Joke !  He just looks at me at times hobbling down the stairs , muttering and sighing as I plod down and just gives me that  " when did Di turn into an old crick " look .  The boot was never attractive but what I'm wearing now isn't much better . 

I think you're going back to work way too early . My dr said a minimum of 12 weeks if you have an active job and like you , after having the longest period of time away from school , I try very hard not to moan about an op I chose to have . 

Love your stories if near misses ! I dropped the crutches on my foot too whilst negotiating someone's downstairs loo but I had had my first couple of wines that evening and I was more unsteady than usual ..... But I did find wine a great pain relief !  Shame our National Health Service doesn't suggest or supply it ! Highly recommended x

• Posted

Well done you ! I also have had a good day . I walked for an hour by the sea this afternoon in this lovely sunshine and did well . I d potted up pansies this morning too so feel I've achieved a lot . How sad is this when such little things make us feel euphoric !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.