Trouble with swallowing due to generalised anxiety and health anxiety.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had this for 5 months now swallowing so uncomfortable. Had all the tests endoscopy, camera down the throat, barium swallow all ok. Just so hard. On citalopram 30mg for 3 months so mentally feeling better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi June13407. Sorry to hear that you've been suffering for so long. If you haven't had an esophageal manometry done, that is something to ask about. Manometry is a tube that takes pressure measurements of your entire esophagus. ask your Gastroenterologist about this test to get more answers for your pain.

It was this test that assisted in my subsequent diagnosis of Achalasia. Mine was severe enough to be known as "jackhammer esophagus" where constant high pressures or squeezing of the esophageal muscles caused alot of pain and swallowing problems for me.

It wasnt until I had this done that I was diagnosed and was able to get medication and in my case a couple of surgeries before I could get relief.

Unfortunately, too many times I had to really PRESS for more information and better medical care and answers. It's so easy to get lost in the numbers and on the looooong waiting lines just to get results in medical care. Ask, Ask, Ask until you get answers and on the road to relief.

God bless you in your journey!

• Posted

I have had the test where you eat some yogurt and a biscuit and they follow it down, that was fine. I have also had an MRI of the head and neck all normal. I can eat soft foods ie weetabix shepherd's pie etc

• Posted

Hi,

Greeka's advice to seek a Manometry test is good advice. This will complete the picture...Until you have completed this, do try some wellbeing therapy; swallowing is linked to the fight/flight response and can be hugely effected even by common stress. Cognitive therapy, massage, meditation, exercise etc can all help. Also, high strength magnesium and Vit B can help if stress is contributing... Take some Me Time until you have further medical info! 😃

Warmest,

N

• Posted

Thank you am seeing a psychologist only had 1 appointment so far. I had a test where you eat some yogurt and a biscuit and they follow it down as well as a barium swallow test and also had a neck and head MRI all normal

• Posted

Hi June,

The manometry involves a fine tube down the nose and into your throat, it measures pressures whilst swallowing. If you haven't had this test, it will be worth discussing with your Dr. It is a more modern method for swallowing condition diagnosis... Whatever your issue, at least the endoscopy has ruled out blockages etc, so further investigation should not be a worry and can only help...

Take care, and do find some me time ! 😃

Neil

• Posted

Thanks I had the nasopharyngeal procedure twice when it comes up on a screen all looks fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.