Troubled & no idea whats wrong

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have been experiencing nights where Im awoken & choking on stomach contents? (as I did last night)  I never eat supper & I do not drink alcohol as Im on meds. Is this common for some people?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I also wake up coughing and choking sometimes, even though I always wait at least 3-4 hours before going to bed after having dinner. I was diagnosed with acid reflux and a hiatal hernia 15 years ago. I tried every medicine they have, with no good results and finally decided to stop taking them all and just rely on eating better, de-stressing and exercise. Since then, I've gotten much better, though sometimes I do experience the symptoms you're feeling, as well as others... Burning in the esophagus, sore throat, pain in the stomach... Have you been to a doctor for these symptoms?

• Posted

Hi drcreativa THANK YOU for your reply.  I had asked a few friends if they had this prob ever happen.  Unfortunately they could not relate to it at all.  Took their advice by drinking milk before bed, increasing more vegetables, no spices or herbs etc.,  The unpleasant nights would randomly occur & lost for why this was happening, as it did last night.  Acid reflux? I do not know anything about this but it sure is worth having it checked out THANK YOU exclaim  Perhaps it could be causing the pain I had in my chest (short lived) but frightened me so much & radiated into my throat.  Seriously thought I was having a mild heart attack.  Im not one for Doctors but I do happen to have an appointment on Tuesday so its definately something I will now raise with him while Im there.  Big hug for your feedback, VERY grateful x

• Posted

No its not common....sleep with your head elevated either put blocks under the head of the bed board.  I suggest going to a gastro dr if its happening alot. liz
    • Posted

Hi liz.  I certainly will be following some good advice here & sincerely appreciated.  Its a horrible way to be awoken for sure.  Will be definately propping myself up & correcting sleep position.  Im having this prob at least once a fornight, concerned that I might inhale the vomit.  Looking forward to seeing my Doctor now more than ever & have this sorted.. much love to you both xx

• Posted

I used to wake up choking in the middle of the night, then dicovered I have GERD and Barretts (through endoscopy); now have elevated my bed, dont eat at least 3 hrs or more before bedtime, no over eating anymore,  and have got to know some of my trigger foods (trial and error)

​So you definitely need an endoscopy

• Posted

Hi shaq.. thank you for your reply.. GERD & Barretts? WOW, these symptoms are related to things I have never heard about.  I have since propped my pillows up.. (so far so good thankfully)  Im eating lite & steamed veg, no oils.  Good idea about trigger foods.. I will be much relieved once Dr's get to the bottom of this awful prob..  THANKS so much..  Im reassured to know Im not alone with this complaint xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.