Troubles with sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 15 years now, and have had trouble sleeping and staying asleep for the last many years. I am curious if this might be because of the RA, or any medications that I am on. Does anybody else face the same issue?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I also don't sleep great and was diagnosed about the same time, I don't put it down to RA but just that I am getting older and sometimes don't need so much even though I'm not a napper so can't blame it on that either, do You mind me asking how old you are

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response, Alexandria. I am 31 now, and try to lead an active lifestyle (as much as I can) in hopes that I will be tired enough to fall asleep, but it doesn't always work sad

• Posted

Your probably getting into a viscous circle, the more you lose sleep the tireder you get and then it gets harder to get off to sleep and you don't go very deep and the lighter you sleep the slightest ache will wake you up, breaking the cycle is not easy because fatigue actually will excentuate the pain, are you healthy other than the Ra also do you have swelling in your joints

• Posted

I have always been a light sleeper, but since having RA it is much worse! I was taking Gabapentin that was supposed to help with sleep and pain, but it caused memory problems. My meds (methotrexate) we’re working for about 9 months, but lately I have been having a lot of joint pain and getting No sleep! 
    • Posted

Hi you didn't say how old you are, I know that definately no matter RA or not you don't sleep so well but if it's pain that's stopping you then you have to approach it differently

• Posted

Your probably right, mine went to pot after menopause started and i did think that could be one of the causes, have you tried changing your night time routine at all, maybe a warm bath with lavender oil
    • Posted

I do love lavender! I just started taking magnesium.... I heard that can help with sleep and that most people don’t get enough. Will keep my fingers crossed! It is so difficult to live a normal life without enough sleep!
  • Posted

Hi, you need foods that contain Tryptophan, Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin which at night is converted to melatonin the sleep hormone, I have sent PM about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.