Troubling bite on tip of tongue

Posted , 1 user is following.

A few years ago I bit the tip of my tongue. It wasn't a big wound or anything but it didn't heal properly and left me with a small lump (maybe 2mm in diameter). Due to it protruding ever so slightly though I tend to bite it again sometimes - when I eat, sneeze, I've even woke up in the night because I bit it in my sleep. It's not usually an issue, it's sore for a couple of days and that's it, even if it has grown maybe a couple of millimetres more than it originally was (I imagine due to hurting it and healing so many times).

The problem is that last week I bit it worse than I have before and now it's half detached from my tongue, with a bit of a hole underneath. It's been a week now and from what I can tell it doesn't seem to have healed at all - it's still a flap hanging off my tongue. It's right on the tip as well, slightly to the right so anything I do, like eating or even talking, it hurts.

It has me a little worried because hurting it every time I eat or anything surely isn't helping the healing process. Also, on top of that, the fact that I've bitten it in my sleep in the past has me worrying that I may end up biting the flap off, causing who knows what damage.

I'm not sure if I should go and see my GP about it. Is this something that warrants a doctors attention or am I just worrying over nothing and just not giving it enough time to heal? Any advice or anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.