Troubling measuring liquid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to read syringes as I taper down. I'm using a 10 ml and a 1 ml syringe. I'm trying to go 5-8% at a time but last time I only went 3% just because that amount was much easier to figure out. I've tried googling "How to read syringes" but not much help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your 1 ml syringe has hash marks every 0.1 ml, correct?  Your 10 ml syringe may have hash marks every 0.2 ml.  When you draw up the solution, it's hard to explain but the sides of the rubber plunger should line up with the hash mark, even though the plunger is not flat but usually conical in shape.  It is ok to round to the nearest easy line to use going no greater than 10% every four weeks.  So, if that amount brought you to 8.75 ml, you could round to 8.7 or 8.8 ml without it being a problem.  You could use the 10 ml syringe to measure 8.0 ml and the 1.0 ml syringe to measure the 0.7 ml.  Just be sure to shake your solution well right before you take each draw.

I hope that helps.  There's probably a youtube video of how to read a syringe for a visual demo.

• Posted

Do you mean the actual lines on the syringe, the fact that the liquid sometimes tilts, or working out the percentages, or maybe all of them ?  

I know when I draw the liquid nectar up the syringe it sometimes doesn't level out, so I release it back into the container, making sure I press hard, then lift the plungar again and it usually levels out.  As you look at the syringe, the bottom on the black rubber washer is where you need to look.

If you're still stuck, shout out, lets get this right for you x

• Posted

I mean just figuring out the the measurement. For example how do I meazure 10.37 ml? The 10 is pretty clear. With the .37 I'd use the 1 ml syringe. Somewhere after the 3 mark?
    • Posted

Yes you've got it ... 7 little lines going up, after the 3, will be the .37.  Or you could round it up to 10.4 ?  But if you're eager (like me) you'll want to do the most you're allowed smile   If there's any "rounding" to be done ~ make sure its up and not down lol.  

You're using Sol Tabs right?  Hows that going for you?

• Posted

Thanks. I need to go and buy new syringes though because some of the markings have rubbed off. Very annoying. 

That Sol Tabs work well for mixing in water so they are really easy in that aspect. 

• Posted

Yes the syringes aren't built to last are they !  I just rinse mine under the tape & try not to rub ... worth keeping a few spare in I find.  

Hope the tapering goes well.  smile  

• Posted

There is a Youtube video that is really good for learning how to read syringes.  The title is LearningTools:  Reading Syringes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.