Troubling Thoughts on Pot

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been coping with general anxieties since I was little. For the past couple months I have been smoking pot and feeling fine but I had a really pressing experience the other night. I smoked the regular amount, but I got hooked on negative thoughts and I ended up having a full body panic attack. These thoughts were about the world and relevance of society, and they led me to this place of severe disappointment and paranoia. I was left with an overwhelming feeling of emptyness, and ever since I've been kind of depressed. Im a really optimistic person, and this experience really bummed me out. Has this happened to anyone else?? I usually don't dwell on these kinds of things, but I'm anxious about it because I can't seem to negate these anxious and sad feelings.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Smoking pot with any history of anxiety is playing Russian roulette, its an insane thing to do. Stop, stop now and never do it again. It's your call, but if you don't then you can fully expect potentially severe and permanent effects to your mental health. Your call
    • Posted

Yah I figured as much. My anxiety has always been something I can calm by rationalizing a situation, but this was different. But I'm definately going to eliminate weed. I had never had an experience like that and it really was an awakening. I had never felt that sort of depression.
    • Posted

stop the pot.

anything else that calms you down?

• Posted

I agree marijuana can trigger anxiety, I'm glad I never became a smoker. You are saying it can have permanent effects on the mind?  Is this for people predisposed to anxiety or do you mean in general?  Maybe after years of smoking?

Im just curious. My panic disorder came two days after surgery, I always suspected the anesthetics and other meds induced my issue. 

• Posted

Dont think pot/anxiety/depression go well together
  • Posted

I was using marijuana for pain and to sleep. I have fibromyalgia. It worked well for that. I absolutely cannot use it for anxiety. It makes it so much worse.

I do find that a glass of wine will relax me. But I'm so scared of using alcohol that I only ever go to that as an absolute last resort when nothing else works.

Try eating something with protein or fiber. I find that sometimes my blood sugar is low or really high and getting something that will level it out helps. Like a piece of cheese, or some nuts, fruit like apples. Any fruit that is high in fiber. The fiber keeps the fruit sugars from causing blood sugar spikes. You're looking for an even level, not spikes. So don't eat something that has a lot of sugar or empty carbs.

• Posted

Pot, in my opinion can and will make your anxiety worse.  Pot is what caused my panic disorders, and I am sure there are many more who will say the same thing.  There is a particular thread on here for those who panicked while high on pot.  I highly recommend you stop it.  You will have people say it works for them, but like prescibed medications work for some, don't work for others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.