trulicity and hypothyroid - should I risk it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hypothyroid. There are several members of my family (sister, father, aunts and cousins) who also are hypo. My doctor wants me to try Trulicity for my T2D, but the chance of thyroid cancer terrifies me. My question is this, has anyone here with hypothyroid taken Trulicity and how has it affected you?  Thank you for your input.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terrie, 

I have to agree with you about the risks. You know you’re already at high risk for thyroid disease. Why add to your chances?  

Did you tell your doctor about your family history? If you did and he still recommended a medication known to cause thyroid cancer, boy, I’d get a new doctor!

Type 2 diabetes is incredibly responsive to lifestyle changes. It requires work amd discipline. But the rewards of freedom from diabetes maintenance is worth the effort. 

I would encourage you to ask your doctor if there’s a diabetes dietary class available yhrough your medical pkan. If not, there are tons of books, websites, etc on how to best eat for diabetes.

Also, consider that you may be subclinical hypothyroid, which can cause a bunch if health complications, relating to diet, nutrition, etc.

• Posted

You are freaking me out Why would Trulicity give you cancer My28 yr old daughter found she had Thyroid cancer and of course had to have it removed She still has it because it spread so badly They put her on Trulicity for T2D and after she started Her personality that was getting happier got worse My advice is really research Doctors sometimes don't understand actual medication I am not saying I think you have cancer It just startled me when I read that Keep me informed I'll ask her how she feels If different or whatever

• Posted

Just spoke with my daughter Her doctor has explained the tests showed in rats a minute amount actually got cancer She has learned extensive knowledge about Thyroid everything She suggests to take it It has the lowest risk She said they have to tell you about the risk But its extreamly rare
    • Posted

Hi folks, I’ve seen the commercials  and they always have the thyroid cancer warning. The easiest way to check this, is to fo a search for “class action lawsuits Trulicity” or just “Trulicity lawsuits”.

I just checked the Trulicity website. They list pancreatitis and kidney failure as common side effects. Keep in mind, both pancreatitis and kidney problems can contribute to diabetes. I’ve read that many diabetes medications are appetite suppressants and eating less helps regulate blood sugar.

A preliminary search of ‘Trulicity lawsuits’ revealed an interesting article that the entire class of diabetes drugs  called encretin drugs, are known to cause pancreatic cancer.

Really, I supppose you could argue that if you dig deep enough you’ll find stuff about every drug that's really scary. However, I look at it like, am I willing to be that 5% or whatever percentage that has the horrible side effect?  It is also known that drug companies grossly under-report side effects. By the time they ate forced to disclose the full side effects the damage is done to patients and the drug companies have made their millions or billions if $$. 

I can tell you, I was able to get my mom off the meds with dietary changes, herbs and acupuncture. She is quite elderly and her declined health makes most medications contraindicated- meaning they do more harm than good simply because her system is too weak to tolerate the meds.

She’s doing quite well without the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.