Trust me I'm a doctor

Posted , 4 users are following.

This informative series is back on BBC2 on Wednesdays. There was a lot of interesting bits in this weeks that you can catch up on with iPlayer.

They had a healthier way to cook pasta for diabetics.

Tests on the best way to keep vitamin D levels up.

How UV rays can lower BP and are all saturated fats really bad for you.

Of course as always there are two sides to a coin.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Fascinating, particularly the UV rays. They do say that blood pressure is higher in the winter ... but I'm not writing any more today.  Keep getting badges from this website.  Am I contributing excessively?  Happy weekend all.
    • Posted

Not as excessively as me. I hate that part of this site that treats posters like six year olds.

Mr Moderator please note!!

• Posted

Sadly I am one of those with a delicate skin that reddens in minutes and never browns. I keep on having to have pre cancerous lesions frozen off the top of my head.

Also I think that as skin ages it is more affected by the sun. My wife used to tan easily now she has to cover up as she burns. It suddenly changed from one year to the next.

• Posted

I've read somewhere that good vitamin D levels is beneficial in keeping your BP down. Vitamin D apparently affects an enzyme produced by your kidneys that affects your blood pressure.
    • Posted

Hi Derek/Alexandra,

A lot of users like the reputation/badges side of things and it was brought in as it was asked for by others. If you don't care about these you can switch the emails off for when you are awarded a badge etc. If you want me to take note of something you need to contact me rather than just post in a thread. I only saw this by chance.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Badge E-mails now turned off!  I think that they encourage a certain type of poster to cross post and comment when unable to be of help

When I last asked about the spellchecker we used to have you said that it be brought back after other site mods were completed. It would save me wasting time checking medical words and drugs.

• Posted

Will happily pick one from my tree but can't run (on Bisoprolol) to the latest iphone.  A certain type of poster Derek76?  That's taking a tough line. 
    • Posted

You must notice them:-)

Our old house was built in 1928 on the site of an orchard and we had some of the original trees. The next owner planted more and I added a dozen smaller types with old varieties.

• Posted

Whether I notice or not, I firmly believe that tolerance is a virtue.  Fings aint wot they used to be, derek76.  That's a lot of apple trees.  Blackberries?
    • Posted

I had better not comment more as Victor Meldrew was based on me and yes they turned our local Palais into a Bowling Alley:-)

We had Blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries, strawberries, raspberries, pears, plums and a sickly peach tree.

• Posted

I firmly believe in the UV rays theory - I tried to get out in the sun as much as possible this summer, followed by a week long cruise with hot sunshine every day (unusual for Norway by all accounts) and following our return my BP was almost normal for the first time ever.  Of course, de-stressing might also have been a factor.

As for keeping Vit D levels up, as welI as taking a Vit D supplement, I thought the best way to do that was to ensure we eat lots of oily fish and other Vit D containing foods, and get out in the sun for at least 20 minutes during the part of the day when the sun is at its highest.  Did you all know that if you are deficient in Vit D, a tiny supplement doesn't help?  You need to take a large daily dose (at least 1,000iu) for 3 months to boost it to normal levels, and then you can supplement with a small maintenance dose.  I have a 3 month course of pure Vit D3 every winter under the guidance of a renal consultant.

• Posted

the UV theory didn't work with me. When I returned from a sunshine holiday in southern France my BP was all over the place. It settled back down to normal after about a fortnight. What it was when I was actually on holiday I've no idea.
    • Posted

I remember our discussion on your increased BP on return from holiday, Jane.  Didn't we decide it might have been all the extra salt/cheeses you consumed whilst in France?  Great news that it eventually returned to normal though.
    • Posted

yes it could have been because I certainly did make the most of all the cheeses, saucissons [French son-i-law makes his own so we had to do justice to them!] and the wine. But as i said it did return to normal and that was on the lower dose of losartan that I'd been put on just before going away. So I never went back to the dr!

I'm thinking it really does go to show that diet counts. Whether it is the salt or the wine I'm not certain. I'm inclined to think the wine but I wouldn't want you to think I was a wino !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.