Try for a baby now or have surgery first?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, I've been on Esmya for 3 months but my new NHS Trust won't give me a further supply as they don't fund it. I have had a good amount of shrinkage on my main fibroid from around 10 to 5 cm and my doc says they will schedule me for a removal (myomectomy ). My main fibroid sits inside my womb - pressing against my bladder. May have been responsible for a miscarriage -but cannot be certain.

I just can't decide if I should try for a baby now given that it is much smaller or have the myo first and have all that healing time to go through plus the risk of possible scar tissue. I'm 33 by the way.

Any help appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nina, your fibroids will almost certainly grow again within a few months are you stop Esmya, I know some people have had successful pregnancies with fibroids but they can be very troublesome. 
  • Posted

Hi Nina, I had a fibroid when I was trying for a baby & it took me 3 years to fall pregnant. The fibroid also grew bigger alongside the baby as the pregnancy hormone encourages it to grow for some reason? After my baby was born, the fibroid shrunk but is now back & has caused me problems ever since. I am now on the waiting list for a hysterectomy.

I know this isnt really advice but I just thought I'd share my experience. I hope I didnt sound too negative, 

Good luck & all the best x

• Posted

Hi Helen, I had a big fibroid but fell pregnant quickly, once pregnant they couldnt see it on scans, probably hidden (lower posterior wall) then when I had an emergency c Section with my son they couldn't see it either. Maybe stretched but now its bigger than ever, my son is 8 & I'm 46 Ive been toing & froing regarding what to do, 6 months of Esmya & 6 months of Zoladex did nothing to its size. Now back on Esmya to see if I could have embolisation, hoever my arteries (arent big fat & juicy radiologists worlds) unlike the rest of me which is! So with a 50/50 chance of embolisation working & the worry of a big dead ulcer inside waiting to infect, I think I'm talking myself out of embolisation & looking towards a hystorectomy. Are you having keyhole or open? Do you have one child? I know my time is past to have another now, I should have tried earlier. I'm just dragging my feet making a decision, trying to loose weight being 6 stone over what I should be! Good on you for deciding & going for it!

• Posted

Thanks for your replies ladies.

I have not had any children yet and the surgery planned for me would be an open myomectomy.

• Posted

Hi Heather! You sound exactly like me, I have one son, also 8 years old & I'm 46! It has taken me 2 years to come to the decision to have a hysterectomy but I think its the right thing to do. Because of the size of the fibroid, they want to do an open hysterectomy. I know exactly how difficult this decision is (which is why its taken me so long! going backwards & forwards to the hospital, hoping that an alternative will come up!) but like you say, when a benign lump is growing inside you, you want it sorted! 

I have heard all sorts of positive stories about hysterectomies so I'm sure  its the right thing to do. Also like you, I am overweight (not sure if its the Fibroid or the Esmya?) Good luck to all of you! I'm so grateful for this site, so good to talk to others about the same experience x

• Posted

Hi Heather, I dont know when the op is, my next appointment at the hospital is on 27th June, its called a 'pre-assessment', its to take blood tests etc. My fibroid was about 8-9 cms, but after taking Esmya for 3 months, it had shrunk a couple of cms (not very much, but enough for them to go ahead with surgery. Whilst I am waiting, I have started taking Esmya again, just to shrink the fibroid a bit more, as it all helps!

I did ask about embolisation on one of my appointments but the doctor just said it wasnt suitable due to the position of the fibroid?

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your situation, I would recommed you go for the open myomectomy if you have been advised that your fibroid is within the womb and not outside it. Fibroids inside the womb cavity are more troublesome when it comes to pregnancy or even IVF. You can normally start trying for pregnancy 3 months after an open myomectomy and your consultant will advise you on this. Dont be afraid of the surgery, prepare youself physically with exercise and diet and your recovery will go well. As others have mentioned fibroids do grow bigger once you stop Esmya, and you cant take Esmya indefinitely, I had an open myomectomy and recovered well. The surgeons use various technicques to minimise scar tissue. Embolisation is not recommend for those who want a preghancy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.