Try this if you can fall or stay asleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

If you check the symptoms of hyperthyroidism you will find that one of them is difficult sleeping or insomnia. Obviously there are other causes but this was the one that prevented me from falling asleep or staying asleep and I fixed it very easily at no cost.

And you need to be just slightly hyperthyroid to have

sleeping problems. You can self check if you are hyperthyroid. Your resting pulse and body temperature will be elevated. Your resting pulse should be below 80 and preferably 70 or lower. Your body temperature should be below 98.6 and preferably lower if have trouble with sleeping. If your hands feel warm or hot when you make a fist your are probably hyperthyroid although it may be just lightly but enough to have sleeping problems. Obviously you need to be indoors for about an half an hour in the winter when your hands get cold outside.

How do you fix hyperthyroidism? Very easily. If you search cruciferous vegetables you will read that they suppress your thyroid and the advice is to avoid them if you are hypothyroid. If you are hyperthyroid you can eat cruciferous vegetables to suppress your thyroid which will lower your pulse and body temperature and hopefully improve your sleep. I have solved my sleeping problems three times now when I notice my pulse was 80 and my hands always felt hot when I made a fist by eating cabbage mostly red but also green. I ate it raw and it's healthy and it doesn' cost anything in the sense that you would have to spend the same money on other foods.

Now if you are very hyper not sure if this will work well enough. There are drugs that work but with side effects and some get radiation treatment. I am glad I did not have this problem.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

CORRECTION:The headline should have read if you CAN'T

• Posted

I have problems of sleeping too much but no indication of thyroid problems.

• Posted

Just a question: are you quite sure you don't have a thyroid problem? There are many causes of excessive sleeping, but hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a fairly common one, especially among people of your age. Other symptoms are slow pulse, weight gain, constipation, intolerance of cold and mental fog (in the later stages). However, not everyone gets all the symptoms so you'd still need to be tested.

I don't know where you are in the world, but if it's the UK you need to insist on seeing the results of your yearly blood tests. UK GPs are notorious for not routinely including tests for thyroid activity, even though hypothyroidism is relatively common among the over-60s. It's also extremely easy to treat - much easier than hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid myself eight years ago. You just pop a pill of levothyroxine every morning for the rest of your life and your problems are solved. It isn't a medication in the normal sense of the word, but rather a synthetic copy of a hormone the body makes naturally. This means it doesn't have any side-effects, provided your doctor orders regular blood tests and calibrates the top-up dose accordingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.